Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 10:09

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Exercise help

I have a problem with exercising and breathing. I can lift weights and ride bikes and play games. But when it comes to running, about one minute into running and I cannot get enough air. I have so much energy that running seems to be a great way to get ride of it. But even after eating the Neanderthin way since fall and curing all of my other ailments, I still can't seem to master the art of breathing during heavy exercise. I'm not trying to run marathons. Instead I would simply like to be able to run/jog one or two miles without having to stop to catch my breath. I have lots of muscle and am in good shape. Suggestions? Ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:17

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

You're going to think I'm crazy and what I say will be different from anyone else's response, but I believe it's the truth. The way our bodies were designed, running (other than for an activity or game) is an indication that we are fleeing from danger. Cortisol is released from the brain and over a period of time damages the heart muscle. Expecting injury, the body wants to minimize bleeding, so the blood vessels constrict and blood pressure rises. The "runners high" is designed to minimize the agony of being killed. Think about it--why have runners in "excellent condition" like Jim Fixx dropped dead? Running any more than for short spurts is no more natural to us than eating bread. Everything you're already doing is just fine--don't ruin it.

I read about this in the book, Lights Out--Sleep, Sugar and Survival by TS Wiley, an anthropologist, in which she also discusses the need to get adequate sleep and why artificial lighting has also contributed to illness. The facts discussed in this book, I believe, are totally consistent with the paleo lifestyle and fill in many of the missing pieces of the puzzle.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 09:55

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's interesting and certainly a valid arguement. I must check out that book. Neanderthin and some other books claim that man has the endurance to outlast other animals. Man should be able to traverse long distances at some sort of speed. Although I can spend the day hiking or walking at a fast clip, I just can't manage running/jogging for any length of time.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 145/140/? Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

You may just not be "meant" for running. I think certain people are naturally good at it and don't have a problem with it. It seems that certain people are meant for certain sports.

In learn to run clinics, people are instructed to run 30 seconds then walk for 1 minute, then run again. If you are out of breath (can't hold a conversation) then you are going too fast. Start with trying to do a 10 minute run and work your way up. If you really want to start running, it would probably be worth your while to try a learn to run clinic at your local rec centre or something. Then you can learn how to do it without hurting yourself etc.

I also believe that it is a little psychological. At first, running really feels uncomfortable. Legs might hurt or feel heavy, and the end may feel very far away. Usually what I do is let my mind wander and I'm very focused on the moment inside my head - it's a kind of meditation for me. Generally when I run I don't feel much of anything.

I also agree with Twilight that running isn't that natural really...but that doesn't really stop me. I enjoy it and do it every now and then when I feel like my body needs it. As long as it feels good and I'm not getting hurt I will still continue to run.

Check out the following site for some running info:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/runnin...m?terms=running