Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 09:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

IMHO too much is made of the ratio of this to that in a single food. Ratios are meaningless in the overall aspect of your diet. Especially when the amounts of O3 are so tiny, as they are in grassfed, or conventional, beef. Eat some fatty cold-water fish if you want a meaningful amount of O3 or take fish oil.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 10:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Arachidonic acid is a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid 20:4.

It can be inflammatory if you eat too much of it, especially if you are not getting enough omega-3 fatty acids.

AA is in a lot of foods, and I don't avoid it, but by cutting out the two most intensive sources of AA in my diet (fowl and egg yolks) the pain is gone.

I eat cheese, peanuts, beef (mostly grass fed as corn fed beef has a much higher omega 6 to omega 3 ratio), and other AA foods, and it doesn't bother me. But chicken and egg yolks make me overdose on AA (also with my wife), the pain/stiffness come back, and elimination makes the pain go away again.

Other than bacon, I eat my meats mostly lean and avoid too much of the fat.

Organ meats are high in AA as well, but I never liked them so that's not a problem for me.

Excerpts from http://www.livestrong.com/article/3...achidonic-acid/
In the 2005-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, or NHANES, chicken and chicken-mixed dishes contributed the most to arachidonic acid intake in America. A 1-cup serving of a roasted chicken broiler contains 0.154 gram of arachidonic acid. Duck contains the highest level of arachidonic acid among lean meats, according to a study conducted on dietary arachidonic acid among meat fat.

One large hard-boiled egg contains 0.074 gram of arachidonic acid. Eggs were found to be the second largest contributor to arachidonic intake among American, according to NHANES.

While beef and beef products are the third top contributor of arachidonic acid to the American diet, according to NHANES, they contain lower levels of arachidonic acid when compared to white meats. Dark meats including beef and lamb are higher in omega-3 fatty acids but still contain arachidonic acid. A 3-ounce serving of beef roast contains 0.042 gram of arachidonic acid.

From: http://farmhousebeef.com/beef-cuts/...on-information/
Grass-fed beef has the recommended ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fats (3:1.)

Grain fed beef can have an omega 6:3 ratio higher than 20:1

So far, everyone I shared the arthritis/bursitis diet with has had miraculous improvements.

My DW recommended it to a friend of hers who had knee replacement surgery recommended by two doctors. Six months later she is completely pain free and still has her biological knees.

That is a blessing, because she is in her late 50s, and when the artificial knees need replacing (they all eventually do) she won't be able to recover from the surgery as well because of her aged body.

Bob

Hi Bob, I just read the link from Dr. Mercola and he has a lot of interesting things to say.
One thing caught my attention when he mentioned fish.

"Why Not Get Your Omega 3 Fats From Fish?
Fish, while generally a leaner food choice than beef, is heavily promoted as a good source of the omega-3 fats.

The problem with fish is that over half of the US burns coal to generate electricty and 80,000 pounds of mercury is dumped into the oceans every year as a result.

Nearly all fish are contaminated with mercury. It has gotten so bad that even the conservative US government warns pregnant women to avoid eating fish. Additionally, it is my recommendation to avoid all fish, unless you are absolutely certain that it has been tested in a laboratory and shown not to contain detectable levels of mercury and other toxins."

I have read that the largest fish are the ones that have high levels of mercury because they are at the top of the food chain but that smaller fish like sardines and anchovies just to name two are perfectly fine to eat.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Oct-22-15 at 10:11.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-22-15, 12:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Is Fish Oil Safe?
Quote:
Question:
Is fish oil safe? Is it contaminated with mercury and PCBs?

Answer:
ConsumerLab.com's tests of fish oil supplements have found none to contain mercury and most, although not all, to have only trace levels of PCBs (which can't be fully avoided since PCBs are found in water everywhere). A serving of fish meat is likely to contain far more contamination than a fish oil supplement. However, we have found some supplements to contain less fish oil than listed and some to be spoiled. In addition, the enteric coatings on some supplements have not worked properly.

Mecury is most harmful to babies or fetuses with developing brains. Once you're a bit older it isn't such an issue.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...ke-201404307130

funny thing is, Inuit and folks up in the arctic circle still eat lots and lots of fish and they're not suffering from the ill effects that
were predicted.

And the actual guidelines are:
Quote:
The Dietary Guidelines for Americans advise us to eat eight ounces of seafood a week (12 ounces a week for women who are pregnant). That would deliver enough omega-3 fatty acids to help brain and nerve growth and protect the heart. But eight ounces is more than double the amount of fish the average American eats in a week.

Not getting enough omega-3 is also a risk for babies, and beef sure doesn't have enough in it to make up for not eating fish.

Mercola needs some serious fact-checking. He still has articles up about the dangers of using a microwave to heat food.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-23-15, 15:59

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

If you get your fish oil from a quality manufacturer, I believe that it is mercury free. Life Extension, Puritan's Pride and a few others have stellar reputations.

And yes, the 03 might be small in grass fed beef but the O3 is huge in corn fed beef, and that's why the ratio is important.

It's the amount of O3 that your overdosing on that makes it inflammatory.

Cows evolved eating grass, not corn. The corn is bad for them (of course so is the slaughterhouse) but good for the steer owners, because it puts weight on them and that makes more money. But it's also bad for the person who eats the beef, but that's obviously not important to the farmer who sends his beef to the feed lots.

I've also read that feeding the chickens corn is the reason for the high AA in their flesh.

I'm careful about what I eat, I'm almost 70, am on no prescription drugs, and haven't called in sick to work since 1964. When I have a problem, I try diet first, and that usually cures it.

Eat what you want, but remember, your health is priceless. If you don't have it, nothing else matters.

Bob