Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:58
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

LOL Nancy, I am a Groomer/Picker too. My hubby has a big sebacious cyst on his back, we went to the doctor about it and he said that he could remove it, but hubby not to concerned about it. The doctor did say that inside the cyst there is a skin, like inside of an eggshell that would have to be removed to make sure it didn't come back.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:01

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCI B
Hi, My name is Nanci and I am a picker. My husband has a cyst on his back. I love it because when I feel the need to pick him, I can always pick on that cyst. I think I am a throw-back to the apes grooming each other.

Nanci

Oooohhhh.. that sounds awesome..!! Hehehee I always pick at my boyfriends back... even though its relatively clear, theres always a few of those invisible blackheads that my nails detect.. hehee
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 12:57

Plan: LC
Stats: 266/224/185 Male 72 in
BF:?%/30%/15%
Progress: 52%

Well, I guess I'm not the only one after all! I've been a picker for years!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 14:25

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

I can't believe I'm going to suggest this but I swear it works!!
Us LCers do have a use for bread...as a sponge. Let me explain. I had a cyst on my upper shoulder that drove me crazy!! It would never come to a head and was very irritating until...I remembered my mothers words from when I was a child and had a boil on my inner thigh... "It needs a poultice."
What I did was "stamp" out the middle piece of a slice of bread (large enough to cover the lump) soak it with milk and put it on top of the effected area. I then covered it with a LARGE bandaid and left it for 24hrs. I don't know if there is some sort of acid in the milk that helps open up the pore or what, but it was amazing!! Lo and behold, when I uncovered it there was this huge bit already sticking out and the rest came out with very little effort!! (gag factor at 100%!!) I swear this is the most natural and pain-free solution to this prob. If any of you try this, let me know if I am just a freak or if it really worked for you!!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 14:47

BF:

Awwwwwwwww... thats sounds awesome!! All I can think of is milk dripping down my legs.. ehhehee out of a squishy soggy piece of bread.. yum... (ha ha)

Thanks for the suggestion!! and I wasnt grossed out but more in awe..
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 14:56
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

There was a crazy lady that lived in our neighborhood when I was a little kid.... her son was my freind Keith.... He would get boils on his back.... I remember this crazy lady chasing him out of the house and tackling him in the front yard with an oven mitt on and a glass coke bottle in her oven mitted hand.... she would put that bottle on him and as it cooled, it drew out the boil. When i got older we did an experiment in biology class where we took a hard boiled egg (peeled) and put a glass bottle in boiling water to heat it.... we set the egg on the top of the bottle and as it cooled, it sucked the egg into the bottle.... reminded me of that.... You can try the egg thing at home if you want... not sure if the bottle is hot on the skin or not, so I wouldnt personally do it on my body...hehehehe... turns out she was a scientist... not a crazy lady...hehehe
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 15:08

Stirlina...Just enough milk to moisten the bread, silly girl!!
But, seriously, try it!! It works!!

Woolina...BTW, I recall a gal I knew who's mom used that "procedure" for boils, as well!!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I always use milk-bread poutices!

Great for infections and drawing out yucky stuff
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 15:55

I wonder if it's a "Canadian" thing? My Mom grew up on the East coast and was taught this trick. I am a proud West coast Canadian myself, but have lived in CA and I know for a fact we got it "goin' on" up here!! I would rather use something natural for healing than pop all these pills that are out there...
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 06:51

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%
Default unripe fig

I know what you are talking about, When I was 6 yrs old I got a huge boil. The treatment prescribed by grandmother was Take a unripe fig Green and hard, and heat it in the fire and place the opening on the boil and it will be drawn out Then place a poultice of milk, bread and honey heated blood warm. My parents used a glass baby asprin bottle instead. I learned a lot of scottish folk remedies from her, Her mother birthed babies and prepared the dead and took care of people in between. I have been able to help my friends with a lot of stuff.

Diane
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 16:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%

wow, so good to know i'm not alone getting these. i'm learning so much around this place!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 05:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 325/299/176 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I also get boils and cysts. Went to see a physician about after antibotics not working over the years and it getting worse. He put me on a low carb diet. It has helped quite a bit been on it for about 4 months now.
I have seen a general improvement but this month they seem to be worse but not as bad as before LC.
nice to know i'm not the only person with this!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 12:20

BF:

Ya know? Lynshe, I havent had any in quite some time now... (months!) Its great to read these stories though!!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 16:54
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi, everybody. These type of boils/cysts can also be bacterial. I use to get them here and there and ARGH. But happily, I found MY SOLUTION!

I use the "CRYSTAL" natural deodorants, which are made of natural mineral salts. Simply roll it on wherever you have a problem spot. It keeps the skin dry naturally and it will not let bacteria form. An existing boil will dry up and heal and new ones will not form.
Good luck everyone~!
OX
Lena