Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 06:37

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%
Default Basal body temperature test

Hi,

I have heard about the 'basal body temperature'. Do you think that's a good starting point, if you 'think' you could be hypothyroid?
I ask this because I have just been doing a bit of research about it on the net and came across quite a few websites saying it's a myth, and that it isn't accurate enough to bother with basically.

When I awoke I took my temperature and it was 36.8 C - converted to farenheit that would be 98.24.

I know I have to do it for at least 3 days, which I will.

But does anyone here think it's a waste of time? or is it something you did at first to see if there was a problem.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Your morning temperature is going to be low so don't be alarmed if it is less than 98.6, it should be. It'll go up later in the day most likely and eventually hit 98.6. It's when your morning temperature lingers around 97 or less that it might indicate a slow thyroid. People with really bad hypothyroid are 95 or 96.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Your morning temperature is going to be low so don't be alarmed if it is less than 98.6, it should be. It'll go up later in the day most likely and eventually hit 98.6. It's when your morning temperature lingers around 97 or less that it might indicate a slow thyroid. People with really bad hypothyroid are 95 or 96.

Hi Nancy,

Oh right, thanks for that! I have seen a few sites that say as soon as you wake up, before moving and to do it over 5 days to get an average temperature.

One site said to take it as soon as you wake up, again between 11am and 3pm or 20 mins after lunch.

So basically if my temp first thing in the morning is 97 or less there could be a problem. What about throughout the day, if my temperature is low that's an indication? should I check it during the day/evening.

I have a digital thermometer as that's all I could get. I'm also not sure if it's best to take your temp under the tongue or armpit, or if it doesn't really matter.

I did go to see my doctor about my thyroid again a good few months ago. She mentioned my TSH from a previous test a couple of years ago (which I believe isn't a good test to do/rely on). But she couldn't get any blood from me anyway, she couldn't find a vein... plus I am not good with blood tests so that didn't help. I was meant to go back a couple of weeks later to try again, but I've just been too busy.

I know when I do go back to try for the blood test again I am going to have to mention FT3 and FT4, as before she mentioned (and checked) only TSH.
She will probably look at me like I am an idiot or a hypochondriac (sp), as I suffer with depression and I feel she likes to put alot of my problems down to that . "Oh, it's because you're depressed" *big grin*... and she sends me on my way.

I am in the UK and I am really not sure how I would go about getting a copy of my test results, I would like to post them on here once they are done... as I really don't know of what to compare them to or what the correct ranges will be. I only know a bit about the TSH ranges here in the UK...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 09:04

Oh I forgot to mention something else I have read about, on here and through Google...

Iodine... I am thinking of buying some Kelp tablets... but each site contains different amounts/potency. Does anyone know the RDA or the best amount for thyroid?

So far I have found Kelp tablets that contain 250mg of Kelp and 150μg Iodine. Another site has some that contain 30mg of Kelp and 150μg Iodine. Not sure what to be looking for. Or if they're all pretty much the same?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 17:18

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I'm not hypo (been tested + have no symptoms) but my "normal" body temp is 96 to 97. It apparently runs in my family - all of us have a low normal and none of us are hypo.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 18:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wouldn't be surprised but where there are other causes of low body temperature too.

Generally my body temperature gets above 98 at some point in the day but stuff like ambient temperature and the amount of activity I do seems to play into that too.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 15:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

Someone sent me a long private message the other day, suggesting I might be hypothyroid. And after a ton of web research, Im inclined to believe her. I made an appointmentwith my doc for next week.

But something I found very interesting is that the adrenals and thyroid are inexplicably linked-cant have one healthy without the other being healthy. And if theyre jacked up, it actually CAUSES DEPRESSION and other mental issues. talk about a chicken and egg thing, hey?

Heres a couple of terrific sites she directed me to. one is a little more militaristic than the other, but the www.drrind.com seemed very comprehensive and explained things very well. I found many many other sites which concurred with the things he had to say. So arm yourself with as much info as possible when you see her next.

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-therapy

heres the other big site:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 19:30

Okay, so eventually I made that 'other' appointment as last time she couldn't get a vein!

I am booked in for Wednesday 3rd of May to have a blood test to check my thyroid, with the nurse. I will mention I want FT3 and FT4 checked, and not TSH (or just TSH) like my doctor did a couple of years ago. Is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
Someone sent me a long private message the other day, suggesting I might be hypothyroid. And after a ton of web research, Im inclined to believe her. I made an appointmentwith my doc for next week.

Hi scthgharpy,

How did you get on at your appointment?