Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/217/160
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Hyperthyroidism

Well, I got the call from the nurse today saying they want me to come back in next week to do more lab work, because my lab from yesterday came back as hyperthyroidism. Something about my T2. I have looked and looked and looked and have gotten nowhere. I wish some of the sites on the computer would be in "low-to-mid" IQ so that I could understand what the heck is going on. I am getting so sick of feeling like I do. I feel so angry about it. I feel like my dark side is coming back out and I want to scream and throw a fit, but I don't even have the energy to do that.

I wish that if someone in this forum has been here, they could explain it to me. I have been to the sites and I don't want to go back. I just want it explained to me.

Any help would be great.

Sick of being sick.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 13:35

Plan: 20 LC weeks and counting
Stats: 228/179/123
BF:
Progress: 47%
Unhappy Been There

I sure have been there. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism) 3 years ago and it's been a very long road to where I am now. I have nothing good to say about it because there aren't but 3 options for you. Medication, Radioactive Iodine Therapy to kill the thyroid gland or sugery to have it removed. I was on meds for two years and they just stopped working. My next decision was to take the radioactive iodine. Once my thyroid gland died off (slow process I might add), I had no thyroid function whatsoever, hence no metabolism. I became hypothyroid and have to take synthroid for the rest of my life. And here I am now, with a ton of weight to lose as a direct result. But I won't complain too much. I would choose to be overweight any day than living another day in a hyperthyroid state. It affects your mind and mental well-being just as much as physically and can be dangerous. Don't ignore your symptoms, they may get worse if you don't get treatment.
Take Care, Stephanie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 13:41

Plan: Zone
Stats: 165/163/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Post Hang in there!

Don't despair yet, I know it's frustrating. Just be sure and talk with your doctors (and look around until you find one you like if you need to!). I know you're tired of looking on the web, but try http://www.webmd.com and type in "hyperthyroidism". There should be lots of info there to help. I think the test that was elevated was your T4 which is one of the thyroid hormones. There are other reasons that it could be elevated, so they probably want to do a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test to be sure that you are hyperthyroid.....

Good luck!
-animaldoc
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 17:25

Plan: none as yet
Stats: 125/125/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow info

Hi there freeme..
you sound like you know what youre talking about..
My mother has Graves disease, and has been on medication for just over 6 months. It would be interesting to hear about anyone who knows of any support formus, or information sites. I do know the basics, but wouldnt it be great if there was more information available.
I believe you can recover from this naturally, if your thyroid decides to kick start itself, but im not sure how you can entice this to happen.
I would love to hear of any way to get around the option of being on meds - which apparently make you feel quite unwell, and the radioactive treatment.
Freeme - can you give me any information on how the radioactive treatment process went, and how it affected you. (If you dont mind)
Thanks for any info..
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 00:18

BF:

A long time ago there was an email loop for people with Graves. It's gone now or it's moved. Anyway, the big theory going around in that loop was that Graves Disease was caused by a copper deficiency, and part of this may be true, but I am certainly not a doctor. The people who were trying to get control over the disease were taking huge amounts of supplements, including copper, and claiming it worked. I tried it. It didn't work for me. Believe me, I wanted it to work. I was in denial for such a long time because I couldn't accept the fact that I only had 3 options to control my Graves and that I will have it forever. Two years into the meds, I got really sick and starting having all the eye problems associated with Graves. That was when I took a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and got the RAI. I got really sick from the high dose they gave me. I've gotten walking pneumonia twice since and a host of other respiratory infections. This coming August, it will be two years since the RAI. It wasn't until I started on Atkins that I have felt like my health is starting to return. This is my 12th week on Atkins and I haven't had so much as a sniffle---that's a record for me. Sorry I am such a downer on this subject. Graves Disease has really given me a hard time. I am hoping by sticking to Atkins that in a few more years all that trouble will just be a forgotten memory.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 10:20

Plan: atkins/modified
Stats: 153.5/122.5/125
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Another Graves diseaser here

Plain and simple: You have too much thyroid in your body. Your thyroid gland is overproducing. This will make you jumpy, irritable, give you insomnia, hungry, heart race, HOT (when everyone else around you are cold), etc. emotions OUT OF CONTROL, I also had major muscle twitches.

The doctor will either: give you meds to suppress your thyroid, give you synthroid that will allow your thyroid gland to take a break, offer RAI (Radioactive Iodine), or surgery.

This is a very serious medical condition. Do not ignore it. It could (literally) kill you.

About.com has some thyroid websites.

Graves is an autoimmune disease. Your body starts to attack your thyroid, your thyroid responds by pumping out more thyroid hormone. It's an evil circle.

Sometimes families generally have high instances of autoimmune disease running through them, diabetes, lupus, thyroid diseases (graves and hashimotos) etc.

My thyroid story:

I also was diagnosed with Graves about 1 1/2 years ago. Heartbeat at 110 sitting still, mind in a fog, jumping out of my skin all the time. Couldn't sleep through the night - it was horrible. Had to take meds to slow my heartbeat down. They made me like a zombie. Had the RAI done twice, 10/00 and 12/00 first time it didn't slow my thyroid down at all! More hyper than before. Soooooo tired, had to try to take naps in my car at lunch.

After 2nd dose of radiation (highest legal dosage permitted without hospitalization), I went VERY hypo (TSH 160). Had to quit my job - I couldn't get out of bed. I was on Synthroid 1.50 Gained 30 pounds (normally 120, went up to 152). Switched to Armour Thyroid (natual thyroid from pigs). I started to feel better physically, but no weight loss.

So here I am 18 months later, 32 pounds heavier, and on Atkins. I have lost 8 pounds as of this morning. Started on Feb. 28th.

I feel much better than I have in years.

It's a horrible disease. But with medication, it can be controlled, like so many others.

ps. Sorry to have written a book
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 06:02

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 130/125/122
BF:
Progress: 63%
Wink Another hyper here

I've been living with hyperthyroidism for the past 10 years! Yes, that's right 10 years. I was diagnosed at just 15 and no one wanted to give me radiation. Now, my husband and I are starting to think about trying to concieve and the meds I take greatly increase the chance of miscarriage.

Has anyone been through this?

Smultron
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 12:31

BF:
Default Hyer-T & Pregnancy

Smultron,
I think just having Graves Disease or any form of hyperthyroidism alone increases the risk of miscarriage. I miscarried before I was even diagnosed and I always wonder if that was the problem.
As far as taking hyper-t medication during pregnancy, I guess that would depend on what medication you were taking. I went to Medizine.com and looked PTU (Propylthiouracil--that's the one I took) and this is what it said:
Pregnancy: This drug is prescribed with caution during pregnancy as it may cause goitre and thyroid hormone deficiency (hypothyroidism) in the newborn infant if too high a dose is used. Discuss this with your doctor. Nursing: This drug passes into the breast milk and may affect the baby. Discuss this with your doctor.
As far as taking the radioactive iodine and then getting pregnant-- when it was given to me, the doctors told me that it would be unwise to become pregnant for at least 2 years.
Good luck to you,
Stephanie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 02:48

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 130/125/122
BF:
Progress: 63%
Wink Thanks Stephanie

I know these are issues I need to speak with my doctor about and I have an appointment on Monday, but it's nice to know somebody knows my situation. I'm starting with a new Endocronologist because the one I have been seeing I found to be incompetent.

I am taking Tapazole and as I understand it, PTU is less likely to pass throught to the placenta than Tapazole. I'm curious if it is a matter of switching to PTU or having surgery (I live in Europe and the Radio active treatment is almost unheard of).

We'll see after Monday.

Smultron
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 20:45

Plan: n/a
Stats: 108/108/115 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

i was diagnosed w/ hyperthyroidism about 2 months ago..i was referred to an Endo but i didn't see her until monday,7-14 .i called my PCP many times asking if i can see the Endo sooner, but i was told thyroid disease isn't that "serious"...so i was told to take "atanolol", which made my symptoms worse, my PCP gave me a bigger dose of it, but i stopped taking them w/out telling her, they just make me worse................so i finally got to see the Endo on monday, 7/14, she told me i've developed "graves disease" due to hyperthyroidism.....she gave me 3 options(as you all know what they are), i erased surgery on my list..i asked the Endo what is the best way to go, she told me she'll start me off on "tapazole", if it doesn't work, then i'll have to do "radioactive iodine"...................has everybody on "tapazole" gain any weight???
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 20:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 380/333/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

another graves case here! had radioactive iodine done was put on synthroid about 6 years ago and still am having meds adjusted.Not fun at all I also concieved while on my meds stayed on them through out pregnancy without any problems.I now have a fantastic and beautiful little girl .Listening to these stories is like listening to my life!this woe has definetly made me feel better and that is a big plus.great meeting all of you take care and hugssssssss Dawn later all