Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 23:31

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Need help-feeling choked-is this thyroid?

Hi, this is my first post here. I have a concern that maybe you guys can help me with. A few weeks ago I went to my doctor because I had what felt like a big ball down low in my throat. The doctor said it was right where the thyroid is, but when she felt my neck she couldn't feel anything and so then she ordered an x-ray, which apparently didn't show anything. So she gave me a prescription for Vioxx, which I took and it did help to shrink the "ball" so that I could eat and drink and breathe, and helped to relieve the pain I felt with breathing and swallowing. She also did some blood tests which she said came back with "nothing too concerning." I was very dehydrated when they did the tests, because it hurt too much to swallow so I hadn't eaten/drank for a while, and they had a really hard time getting blood to fill the tube, and I wonder if that had anything to do with the test results?

I have been off the Vioxx now for a couple of weeks and it has felt like the "ball" deep inside my throat has been growing, and by today it is starting to "choke" me again. I have been doing Low-Carb (Atkins) off and on since Nov. 2003. Could that be triggering some thyroid problem? I know you are not doctors, but maybe you have some experience or tips that could guide me in the right direction.

I have no idea if this is even a thyroid problem. Please offer any thoughts you may have.

Oh, I am a 42-year-old female. Thank you in advance for any insights!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 23:42

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Here is a site that will help you.

http://thyroid.about.com/
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
Hi, this is my first post here. I have a concern that maybe you guys can help me with. A few weeks ago I went to my doctor because I had what felt like a big ball down low in my throat. The doctor said it was right where the thyroid is, but when she felt my neck she couldn't feel anything and so then she ordered an x-ray, which apparently didn't show anything. So she gave me a prescription for Vioxx, which I took and it did help to shrink the "ball" so that I could eat and drink and breathe, and helped to relieve the pain I felt with breathing and swallowing. She also did some blood tests which she said came back with "nothing too concerning." I was very dehydrated when they did the tests, because it hurt too much to swallow so I hadn't eaten/drank for a while, and they had a really hard time getting blood to fill the tube, and I wonder if that had anything to do with the test results?

I have been off the Vioxx now for a couple of weeks and it has felt like the "ball" deep inside my throat has been growing, and by today it is starting to "choke" me again. I have been doing Low-Carb (Atkins) off and on since Nov. 2003. Could that be triggering some thyroid problem? I know you are not doctors, but maybe you have some experience or tips that could guide me in the right direction.

I have no idea if this is even a thyroid problem. Please offer any thoughts you may have.

I am assuming the tests the doctor ordered were the TSH tests for thyroid. If you had a goiter (swelling caused by either hypothroidism (low thyroid function) or hyperthyroidism) it would have shown up on these tests. If you still have problems, you may want to consult an endocrinologist about your thyroid or to rule in or out any other problem. I seriously doubt that the Atkins diet itself would trigger a thyroid problem, UNLESS you have been eating a lot of soy products in which case your thyroid might become MORE sluggish. Thyroid problems come on very gradually over time and usually begin with glandular changes during pregnancy or menopause but can be caused by glandular changes for other reasons such as excessive x-rays to your neck region or even heredity. I hope you find out the root of your problem and get to feeling better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 04:08

Plan: Keto/CKD
Stats: 150/144/125 Female 10
BF:
Progress: 24%

What do you mean by Xray? They should've done an Ultra Sound.

Do you have any other symptoms? It could be thryoid but it kind of sounds like Acid Reflux too.. Especially because you've been on and off Atkins. (That's how I got it,I also get a feeling like air is being pushed up and stuck in my throat) The difficulty swallowing and breathing and the ball in throat feeling..those are symptoms. (although I have a ball in my throat from a thyroid problem..and an ultra sound picked that up..)
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 15:01

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me!

Luckily the ball has not gotten out of control again, yet. I have been feeling the ball for about five years, maybe , (a long time, five years is a guess, but I never took note of when it started because it never was a real concern before.) It is only recently that it has become a problem. I used to occasionally wake up in the night feeling choked, but just changing my position solved the problem and I always just went back to sleep.

I didn't have the ultrasound at my dr. visit because we had to wait for the blood (thyroid) tests, which came back with "Nothing too concerning", whatever that means. And supposedly the x-ray would have shown a problem if there was one. Also, since the Vioxx did help me at the time, that's where the whole affair ended. My doctor has been out of town and will be back on Monday. Hopefully I can talk to her then.

I found out I do have a family history of thyroid trouble, although my parents are in their retirement years so maybe it doesn't mean anything. My dad has a goiter and has had one for many years, but it is small, I guess, and pokes out the front of his neck so it doesn't bother him and he won't take anything for it. My mom is hypothyroid but that is a somewhat recent development, and maybe it becomes "normal" at a certain age?

As far as symptoms, I have some but not others. I have always had very dry skin, (that's not new) and although my hair has gotten coarser over the years there is still plenty of it. I do have lots of bruising on my legs, though, all the time and I never remember bumping into things, but I always figure I must be klutzy-er than I realize! Anyway, I don't remember bruises on legs being a symptom of thyroid troubles. Fatigue, yes, but then I just figured I enjoy being lazy!

I wouldn't guess that it is acid reflux since I never get heartburn.

As long as the ball stays "at bay" I am temporarily okay. It's uncomfortable, but I can still eat, breathe and drink at this point. I guess I'm just fearful that it will suddenly get out of control like it did last time.

I really appreciate all you guys!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 06:00

Plan: Dr. Mirkin
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5' 7 "
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip

Your thyroid gland is most likely inflammed, causing swelling in your neck area, and classic "lump in the throat" sensation. You may have goiter. Make sure your are taking your thyroid medication correctly. if you are only on T4, try to get on armour. It works better.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 19:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/197/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was interested to find this post and I hope some of you have some input into my situation.

I have been experiencing a similar feeling in my throat for a few years now. It feels like something is constricting my throat and when I swallow it gets "hung" midway down my throat and then, if it's a liquid, actually makes a noise like a clogged drain going down. That's the best way I can describe it.

I saw an ENT a couple of years ago and he had me go to the hospital for a "Swallow Test" where I had to drink this Barium stuff while they filmed me (x-ray, I think). He said it didn't show anything.

I've been on Armour for 1 1/2 yrs and a new dr just did blood work on me and said my thyroid is being over-treated and that I should stop the Armour immediately and have another blood test in a month.

Are the symptoms I'm describing similar to those any of you have experienced?
Also, should I be concerned about just stopping my Armour cold turkey?

Thanks for any help you can supply!