Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 17:21

Plan: zone
Stats: 172/105/105
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Glycemic Index/Glycemic Load

Hi!

This question is for the Zone Coach, or anyone more knowledgeable that I am about what's currently happening in Zone land.

I know that the favorable carb lists are based on the glycemic index. With the introduction of the glycemic load concept by Dr. Willett at Harvard, has there been any though of revising the lists? Thanks!

beegee
172/105/105
Zone since 1998
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 22:15

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Glycemic Load

Reference:

www.mendosa.com/gilists

The glycemic index (GI) is a numerical system of measuring how fast a carbohydrate triggers a rise in circulating blood sugar—the higher the number, the greater the blood sugar response. So a low GI food will cause a small rise, while a high GI food will trigger a dramatic spike.

The glycemic load (GL) is a relatively new way to assess the impact of carbohydrate consumption that takes the glycemic index into account, but gives a fuller picture than does glycemic index alone. A GI value tells you only how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into sugar. It doesn’t tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a serving of a particular food. You need to know both things to understand a food’s effect on blood sugar. That is where glycemic load comes in. The carbohydrate in watermelon, for example, has a high GI. But there isn’t a lot of it, so watermelon’s glycemic load is relatively low. Foods that have a low GI invariably have a low GL, while foods with an intermediate or high GI range from very low to very high GL. Therefore, you can reduce the GL of your diet by limiting foods that have both a high GI and a high carbohydrate content.

GL is calculated from the number of absorbable grams in a
"portion" X the GI.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 23:07

BF:

Yes, I certainly agree that limiting hi carb/hi GI reduces overall gycemic load.....thank you for the concise explanation

I guess what surprised me was that a few of the carbs I normally associate with having high GI's had more reasonable GL's in the amounts (portions) one would normally eat--I'm thinking of chickpeas and popcorn, if I remember correctly--there may have been a couple of others.... I suppose it was a bit of wishful thinking that a few items like that might be moved around on the favorable/unfavorable lists.

I am pretty comfortable at this point knowing how various carbs affect me, so my question was more curiosity/academic than anything else.

Anyway, it's nice to "meet" you and the other Zoners here.

beegee
172/105/105
Zone since 1998
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 22:43

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default GI/GL

I forgot to mention, Dr. Sears recommends keeping the GL to less than 3000 per meal.

Also, you may have noticed some items moved from the favorable list to the unfavorable list ~ pineapple for instance...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 00:03

BF:

Thank you for the info! 3000, eh? I'll have to do some tracking for fun.

And no, I was totally ignorant of any changes in the lists. That's what I get for living in my own "zone" I guess and not paying much attention to the websites.

Any more "good" news I need to know, lol. beegee