Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 11:30

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 182/174/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Is it possible...Moderate carb and high fat?

Please don't flame for asking this, I really would like to know if anyone does something similar.

I've come to the conclusion that I just can't do the ultra low carb thing anymore. It just does not fit my lifestyle anymore, there just aren't enough on the go options for me, and it usually ends up with my getting fast food or something. My first go around with Atkins went great lost a ton of weight with very little effort the weight just melted off, but I was going from a very carby existence to virtually no carbs so it was a shock to the system. Since I've had my son I just can't seem to get back into that groove or my body has changed and it seems my body is fighting to hold onto every pound.

I'd like to do a moderate carb instead. My 60-90 carbs a day. Most of which I'd like to come from fruits or oatmeal etc. But my question is I hate anything Lowfat. Is it still possible to be on a moderate carb diet and have the fat too? Can I still have my sandwich on my low carb bread with regular mayo and cheese? Does anybody do something like this? A lot of low carb things I already eat are high in fat, which is okay if the carbs are down, but if the carbs are up a little will that make a big diference? Is it to much to ask to be able to eat fruit and fat, LOL.

I hope that made sense. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 11:43

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19
Progress: 61%

Sounds like an unbalanced maitanence diet to me. Why would most of you carbs come from fruit and oatmeal?

If it works more power to you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 11:47

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

A few years ago, I went on a 60 carbs diet but I measured the mayo to 1 teaspoon for the taste. I did lose the weight but I kept the bread down to two slices and ate many greens. I had one fruit a day.
Oatmeal was 1/3 cup dry.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 11:49

BF:

Unbalanced? Because I want to eat fruit? or because I want to have fat? lol. My biggest issue usually ends up being with breakfast. I don't have time to cook but I need to eat something. Fruit is perfect for me and I love it. Oatmeal as well. And fruit in general is just a good on the go alternative for me. But then again I've never seen fruit as "bad" like many low-carbers do. I guess I'll just have to do it and see how it works for me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 12:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why don't you put together a plan and try it out. Don't get flummoxed if you gain a couple of pounds right off, its just water weight. If it doesn't work, you're too hungry, not losing or whatever, then you'll probably need to trim the calories and/or carbs a bit.

Remember, carbs make you hungrier. Fat has a lot of calories. Protein is very satisfying and will keep the hunger at bay. Keep those things in mind and you should be able to craft a plan that suits your needs.

If you aim for 1.5g of protein for every Kg of body weight, you might find your hunger is kept nicely in check.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 21:57

you said most of your carbs would come from fruit and oatmeal. You get more nutrience if they come from low gi sources.
If you are having a hard time losing weight that doesnt make too much sence to me, especially if you are going to eat more fat. This could increase cravings too.

Your menu sounds kind of like the zone with extra fat, or Atkins maintanence.

I am not fruit phobic, they are healthy-just not super helpful if your goal is fat loss and you intend to consume high fat. Cant think of a low or moderate (like zone) book that would disagree.

My metabolism is pretty unfortunate (thanks mom) I can eat your proposed meal and maintane. Perhaps if you have a decent amount of fat to lose it may work for you.

If it were me I would be sure I spent a day or two in ketosis then ramped up the carbs

keep us posted on the out come.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 21:59

just read your profile. with your shiney new metabolism it may work. worked well for my younger husband, 20lbs gone in a month.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 09:47

BF:

Thanks Pink! I guess it is just like the maint phase of Atkins. I think it will work better for me. I just have to kick myself in the ass and exercise even harder to make up for it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 12:13

too true, the prob with induction is I have NO energy to work out. When carbs are higher working out is easier for me.
Good luck and keep me posted.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 02:50
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 144/115/115 Female 5ft 2in
BF:35%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%

I do fine at around 60g carb per day. I'm not trying to lose any more weight, but the last few pounds went while I was eating 60g carb. It's not 60g every day, but ranges between 40 and 80. The average is pretty consistently around 60g. Try it and see. I think it's better if they're spread out between all your meals rather than all at one go.