Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 19:34

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%
Default Middle-aged Type II Diabetic Buddy?

Hello everyone,
I am willing to be a reciprocal buddy. I am most interested in low-carbers who are also watching their blood sugar: I have Type II Diabetes which will play an enormous role in my journal.

I am 51; live in Ohio; married, two sons (adult); three cats; and have started my first journal entry: It's called something like "Destro Disarms Diabetes Before Diabetes Destroys Her."

You can email me if you would like to be a journal buddy and let me know the name of your journal.

I also have an on-line journal at http://throcky.diaryland.com however it does not focus very much at all on weight or weight loss.

Thanks for your consideration!

Natalie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:32

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi Destro!

I too am a baby boomer who started locarbing (is that all one word?) in February. It is so hard to lose weight that has been on since I can remember. I'm not diabetic, but I was fighting chronic indigestion--couldn't eat anything without downing Tums (carried them in my purse, kept them in my desk, etc.). For the past two years I took Tagamet HB every night at bedtime and slept propped up. I was making myself crazy.

Like many people, I have been able to lose weight in the past only to gain it right back and then some. What is different this time is the knowledge that this is not a "diet" that I will be finished with when I reach my goal. The hard part has been feeling all alone out there (we are such radicals you know!). I hit a five week plateau last month and began getting discouraged. Then, I discovered this board and found out that it is typical (almost required!!) and I must stay focused. I am spending my summer reading every book on low carb eating styles that I can get my hands on.

I will be glad to buddy up with you. I'm new to the board and not real techno-savy, but will do my best!

Purnois
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 14:50

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%

Thank you very much, Purnois!

I, too, had a huge Tums habit for many years. I find that I have not taken any Tums since I started this Way of Eating. It might just be that I took too many in the past or that I needed them because I was eating too much. Or it was just a reflex habit. Although the amount of carbs in two Tums is rather miniscule, there's no point in taking them if I don't need them.

One thing I have started doing is asking myself whenever I want to put something into my mouth: Why? What's the purpose?

I had discovered that I was taking Tums out of habit and not out of need. Sure, there are probably times when many people need to use Tums, but I think I was using them as a sort of candy substitute.

I have started a journal. Are you going to start one?

Thanks so much for writing!

Natalie
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 15:09

Plan: Organic, Raw Foods
Stats: 176/138/117 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi!

I will find my way to your journal and try a reply there....

Purnois
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 16:27

Plan: none
Stats: 210/170/150
BF:
Progress: 67%

Well hi there!! I was just looking around the forum, and found you here. I've been married one week today!!Life is good.But I'm having a little weight problem, the 10 lb. I gained when I quit smoking,but my dr.was so happy that I quit. I worked so hard to lose, guess I got a little bummed. Found out I have type 2 about 10 mo. ago, and had to make a lot of changes. I've got a lot of support from my husband, poor guy, he went on a low carb diet with me. I have 21 year old twin boys Jason and Joshua Gilmore. THey are the type 2 diabetes patrol!! Woe, to any one that tries to feed me ice cream around them!! Ihave 2 dogs, Dauber is a 7 yr. rat, Fancy is a 3 yr pom,they go most places with me, they love to go fishing with me,well I fish ,they just jump in and out of the water and splash me. Talk to you later.