Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile A few concerns

I feel like I am pretty familar with CAD ( I have been on it once before and have read the book and many posts) but I still have a few questions..

Is Iced Tea allowed during CM's and between CM's ?

If you are no longer craving or have not had a trigger with a particular food in your CM, such as cottage cheese, can it still be raising your insulin level causing weight stall or gain?

Reason I am asking these questions is I have not lost a pound since I started 3 weeks ago. I have fluctuated 1-2 pounds but still I get on the scale yesterday at 167.0 (a 1 pound gain!) after not cheating, having any AS or any other triggers, except cottage cheese and Iced Tea) in 5 days. I am not craving nor am I even that hungry after CM's. I admit I did cheat a few times the first 2 weeks (about 2 days each week), but I have been sooooo good now for 5 days with a weight gain.

Help please, I am so frustrated.
Thanks, NurseMoore
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 20:31
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes. A lot of CADers will tell me AS, diet sodas, cottage cheese, protein drings and such don't effect them but then they will stall or have weight gain. CADers have to realize that many innocuous seeming foods can have insulin reactions and it's a very individual thing. Another thing some fail to realize is that anytime you put a food or drink in your mouth, except water, you will release insulin. Any time you chew, you will release insulin. CAs have a faulty insulin regulator and release too much and it escalates with each release. That's why food should go in your mouth only a maximum of 4 times a day. Because a CAs insulin release escalates. It's also why AS has such an effect. If something tastes sweet, your body releases insulin. It doesn't matter that it has no real carbs!!!

So cottage cheese can cause you to gain. If you are haveing AS in your ice tea outside of RM it can cause you to stall and crave. Some teas, even without sugar will cause you to stall because the flavor of it signals your body that it's food. And what happens? The CA's body releases insulin for it.

If a CA has insulin in their blood, they will not lose weight!! Doesn't matter how few calories they are consuming or how much exercise they do. Insulin equals fat storage not fat burning!!

Also, make sure you get enough protein. Shot for 12 ounces.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Fri, Jun-27-03 at 20:34.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 21:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/120 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up Thanks!!

I makes sense to me. The iced tea I drink is plain with no flavor or AS. I will keep a watch on it. I think maybe the cottage cheese is getting me in trouble even though I dont feel the insulin rise.

Thanks for your input. I would appreciate it if you have time to look at my journal to see how I am doing with my meals. I have a hard time eating breakfast since I do not like eggs. I am not sure that is effecting my weight loss too.

Thanks again, you are very knowledgable!!

NurseMoore
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 06:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Definitely the cottage cheese. And nuts aren't allowed either. Whenever I see RMs totally unbalanced with no veggies and not enough protein, I know high insulin is driving the CA toward those choices. There are always better choices than all carbs and when you are the one in control and not the insulin, you make them.

If you have a refrigerator at work or an insulated lunch bag, you could precook meat and have that with your meals to make sure you get sufficient protein. You could at least pack a meal that way. I do.

If you don't like eggs that's fine. Many CAs' hunger isn't satisfied with eggs anyway. Many need heavier protein. Cook some meat and have that for breakfast when you want. I usually have chicken, salmon, roast beef salad (minced protein mixed with celery and mayo) or chopped liver for breakfast. Very satisfying and filling.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 02:22
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I can't eat cottage cheese at CM except on rare ocasions and continue to lose/mainatin my weight...I just eat it at RM...if it makes the cut into what yummy things I will eat at RM today