Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%
Default Doin' it again!

Ok, since my last challenge worked out fine...and I've actually LOST 2 pounds since that day, I decided to challenge myself again today (at lunch this time) with bread again...white bread toast. I had 20g carbs of it with my lunch of prime rib and coleslaw today.

Now, I know that white bread is not whole grain, but I do have a purpose in this...I want to see if my response to the white bread is similar my reaction to the stuffed peppers. So I used the same suspect ingredient in an even higher "dose" to see how I respond. I did it at lunch this time, not sure why, but I just felt it might be easier to assess (and possibly "burn off"!) a higher carb load earlier in the day.

Of course I don't intend to make white bread a regular part of my diet (DH won't eat anything else, so that's why we have it). This is a controlled experiment. I instructed DH to remind to eat whipped cream IMMEDIATELY should I show signs of cravings, if I forget to and start rummaging like I'm about to cheat on something! He agreed.

I'll keep you posted!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 13:09

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Good luck with the experiment. I'd be way to scared to try it myself. Let us know what happens.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 14:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/147.5/130 Female 5'1 1/2
BF:
Progress: 68%

Go Elle! Trying different things is the only way one will see what works and what hurts. Let us know.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 15:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

White bread is a very refined/processed flour and will turn to sugar as soon as it hits your saliva, hence its high GI. ......I realize that you are experimenting but with white bread?

Refined white flour is what we are getting away from, not to be added back in.....except maybe as a treat once in a while.

I think that perhaps Dr Atkins is turning over in his grave.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 15:59
Registered Member

Ok, it's been 4 hours since I ate it. I'm still in dark purple ketosis.

My tummy feels fine, and my appetite has been satiated all afternoon. I would say that I felt a tiny bit of "fog" or a "buzz" all afternoon. My mouth had a "dry" feeling to it, for lack of a better word. This will be something to take into account as I assess this tomorrow. I took a 15 minute nap, but that is not unusual for me...I nap nearly every day.

Judy, if you'll look back at my OP, you'll see why I chose white bread. It will be OK, and Dr A will forgive me, I'm sure.

Last edited by ElleH : Sat, Mar-03-07 at 17:57.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 17:55
Registered Member

more tomorrow!

Last edited by ElleH : Sat, Mar-03-07 at 19:27.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 09:27
Registered Member

Everything worked out OK. No weight gain, no cravings. Only the "buzz" or "fog" and a tiny bit of GI distress the next morning. I'm coming to the conclusion that wheat may not be something I can eat very often! But it's also nice to know that an extra 20g carbs at a sitting twice a week does not affect my ketones or my weight.

I highly recommend this "scientific" way of trying a new food. It's very revealing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 16:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Amazing, Elle. Thanks for the post. I don't like white bread but your controlled method of trying things out is awesome! And congrats on the 2 pound loss!

Saying a prayer for your DH.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 12:30
Registered Member

Thanks! For sure you should try it with foods that you intend to try to eat regularly. I have no intention of eating white bread regularly, although I do love buttered white grilled toast just about as much as anything in the world!! I think that if I could eat a 20g slice of that really grainy whole grain bread, I would be in heaven, too, but I'm not sure my body can take the wheat. FWIW, I do intend to test the grainy wheat bread, but I hate to spend $3 + for a loaf of that kind of bread for one slice a week or something. I guess I could freeze it?