Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 06:44

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I had let this post go.....

This post is sort of a wrap up on "Xiao Ke Ling Pian"...

I haved used it on and off since returning from vacation in China... I have not been using any supplments lately to control my BG. But, when I eat too high of carbs at a meal, I take 8 of these pills and it seems to offset the extra carbs.

Xiao Ke Ling Pian comes in as a close second to Berberine in the line of Chinese herbs I've used to control BG. I don't think it is as effective as when I first used it, but I'm also not consistently using it, so perhaps that may contribute to the lesser effectiveness, but it is still a good back up to take.

I've still not found it marketed anywhere in the USA, but the different herbs which make up this product can be bought individually, or from an herbologist who is licensed to mix it, if they know the formula. My wife is familiar with each of these herbs and if and when I ever run out can make a combo pill for me if needed...

But, I'd like to say this, from my herbal experience: There is most likely not one herb that will completely treat diabetes. Each herb will most likely have varying degrees of effectiveness and some combinations work well together while others don't. I think it just takes a lot of trial and error......

I don't think I have a reliance on any single thing or have searched for a single thing, at least that isn't what I do now. From all of my experiences, I'd say, I focused first on controlling my blood sugar and then I've gone about doing all the healthy things I can do to keep it from returning to wreak havoc in my life. I learned to eat, sleep, exercise, rest and stay living an active lifestyle and use supplements to fine tune my body's ability to absorb nutrients. I strongly believe it is all the little things we can do that help improve our health and there is never a "magic pill" that can solve our problems........ Also, I strongly believe that vitamin and mineral supplements have played an equal part along with herbs in helping me restore my health.

Xiao Ke Ling Pian, if I ever find it on the open market here in the USA, I'll post information on it here......
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-25-10, 08:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hey Cajunboy,

Thanks.

I am doing quite well with metformin ER and several supplements.

My BG is always between 90-120 and it recovers quite well now after eating a meal even with 60g of carbs.

The weight loss has helped.

I still need to get back into weight loss mode.

I have been hanging around 245-250 now for several months.

It does take a concerted effort to drop more weight.

Getting ready mentally and cannot wait for springtime.

My outside walks help tremendously.

Ralph
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-11, 16:27

I hadn't posted about Xiao Ke LIng Pian in a long while...

It has been my on again, off again herb of choice for BG control...

I started a 9 day natural detox program that my wife developed and we're trying. It is only vegetables & fruits, some blended some in soups and we allow ourselves a few nuts. I thought since cutting out animal proteins, I'd need a little bit of herbs to control, and I got out my trusty Xiao Ke Ling Pian, ready to take it 3 times a day if necessary, but so far, I've only used it once a day on 3 of the last 4 days. Surprisingly, my BG has been even lower than it has been lately... I'm between 80-85 on all of the readings away from meals and my highest post meal reading was 124.

Today was our halfway point on the detox diet. We're both doing well, feeling lots of energy and it hasn't been difficult at all. This paticular detox method is a little different than any I've ever heard of.. My wife's a TCM Doctor and her first method of treatment is food and she put a lot of planning into this and in particular to see the impact on my BG as we do it. So far, my BG numbers are excellent. I'm also not believing how I don't feel hungry.

Update on Xiao Ke Ling Pian: I ended up bringing about 100 bottles of it back from China and I still never found any place in the states to buy it. I've used it on and off for over 18 months and no side effects and I've had at least 4 complete blood tests while on it and its all good.......
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-11, 19:32

Two more days to go on the detox diet my wife put me on and it is incredible how good I'm feeling. I've felt good for a long time, lots of energy, mental alertness, etc... but this detox diet makes it feel like I just hit a turbo charge button.....

My blood sugars are lower, blood pressure is lower and both were good to begin with... I'd hate to use up a $10 test stick to check my cholesterol level, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't drop too....

The weird part is, our overall calories are down about 300-500 a day, and our fluid intake is up 25% from normal, mostly added soups and juices (made in our blender, but we consume pulp also), AND I DON'T GET HUNGRY AND I FEEL FULL AND SATISFIED EACH TIME I EAT.... I'm guessing it is the combination of the foods that is making the difference.

I'm 63 and feeling 36....
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-11, 06:36

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Cajunboy, this thread has been a fascinating read. I really admire your willingness to try something different, and how well you documented your results!

Forgive me if my suggestion seems REALLY obvious to you, but you said you were hoping to find a source of these herbs in the States, and someone to translate for you from Chinese. I used to work at our province's University, and had many, many colleagues from China. If you have a university nearby, you may find many visiting scholars from China who would be delighted to help you.

Also, you said your wife was a TCM doctor...could you tell me what TCM stands for? Regardless of what it stands for, how wonderful that you have such a supportive partner.

I'm glad you're feeling so good! You are feeling younger than I actually am! Best of luck as you continue!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-11, 05:56

TCM = Traditional Chinese Doctor

Commonly referred to sometimes as Heral Doctor

My wife is Chinese and we use translation tools from time to time and she helps me with my translation needs. Check out my journal ....