Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 07:42

Plan: protein power
Stats: 140/140/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Breakfast - hardest meal of the day!!!!

Well people, looked at myself in the mirror this a.m. and told myself to 'get a grip here' lol....looked like a little 'puffin'!!!! enough! soooo..my question to everyone is: I hate breakfast....but I don't have a problem making a smoothy..any great receips out there? Dont ask me to fry, boil or bake or throw cold cereal lol....right now I use ...25 gms Whey protein with milk (1cup) 1/2 bannana, 1 tbls wheat germ, 1 tsp cold pressed flax oil and 5 gms fibre pwdr.....This I can get down but sure could use some other really fast, good breakfast ideas? that do not require me to fry, bake, cut up, or watch lol.....anyone?????? I think if I can get the breakfast thing down I can be on my way
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 10:53

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Breakfast

My best estimate of what is in your...........smoothie is:

500 cals
30 fat
30 Carbs
32 Protein.

Depends on the size of your banana

It seems to me that your may have inadvertently discovered a cure for my baldness. The only thing I could think of doing with it now I have made it seems to rub it on my head.

Breakfast for me is more likely two boiled eggs a mug of tea and a rummage in the fridge for a leftover drumstick or sausage.

The best breakfast idea I have is to find someone who will make it for you and preferably bring it to you in bed on a tray with a flower. I have been trying for 30 years and haven't succeeded yet, but the quest still goes on.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 20:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I recommend soy sausages and "fake-'n" (simulated bacon). They're fully cooked and you can eat them cold (if that's your thing) or they heat up in seconds in the mic or a few minutes on the stove. They're tasty!

Now people might argue with this, but it's my NSHO and I'm stickin' to it: if you're not *hungry* at breakfast, don't eat! The majority of the population wakes up with perfectly normal blood sugar levels - there's no reason to dive into the fridge if you're not hungry. Unless you know you won't be able to stop and eat for hours on end, wait a little while. Listen to your body. We're all different. Personally, once I'm out of bed, it's a good two hours before I'm hungry. Then, I eat.

And Rustpot: be careful what you wish for. My beloved attained such a situation, and this Special Someone's insistance on serving fresh-baked croissants for breakfast-in-bed made them both a little portly.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 06:50

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

I make a crustless quiche on Sundays and then I can either heat it up or eat it cold in the morning. Good actually anytime of the day.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 03:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default BREAKFAST IS THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

I *USED* TO HAVE SHREDDED WHEAT WITH SOYA MILK FOR BREAKFAST, WITH A PIECE OF BUTTERED TOAST. I WASN'T AMAZINGLY KEEN ON IT, BUT IT SUFFICED. ANYTHING SWEET MADE ME HUNGRY (INCLUDING FRUIT), AND NOW THE GRAINS ARE OUT.

I CAN'T DO EGGS MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK, AS I AM SENSITIVE TO THEM AND *THEY* MAKE ME HUNGRY. I HAVE CANDIDA AND AM SUPPOSED TO KEEP AWAY FROM ANYTHING SMOKED *AND* DAIRY PRODUCTS. THE SAUSAGES I HAVE SEEN *ALL* HAVE RUSK IF NOT SUGAR IN THEM.

THE BIG THING, OF COURSE, IS THAT I AM A LAZY SOD! I WANT IT TO BE EASY!

I AM ACTUALLY ON ATKINS (ARE YOU GOING TO THROW ME OUT?), BUT ACCORDING TO AMAZON, MY COPY OF PROTEIN POWER SHOULD BE WITH ME TODAY (AS WELL AS "FATS THAT HEAL, FATS THAT KILL", RUSTPOT-I FINALLY GAVE UP LOOKING FOR FREE EXCERPTS ). DOES THAT COUNT?

THUS FAR, CHICKEN AND AVOCADO SALAD, SUGGESTED TO ME BY FIONA, IS THE BEST IDEA I HAVE HEARD, BUT AVOCADOS AREN'T NECESSARILY THICK ON THE GROUND UP HERE, AND DON'T KEEP WELL IF YOU DON'T EAT A WHOLE ONE AT ONCE.

IS FRUIT ALLOWED ON "PROTEIN POWER"? I ACTUALLY KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT IT, BUT AM HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME ON ATKINS (THAT COULD WELL BE THE CANDIDA), AND THOUGHT A CHANGE MIGHT BE IN ORDER.

WOOHOO, MY BOOKS JUST ARRIVED!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 22:03

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have a 'breakfast rotation' that I do. Remember, I am really new, so I haven't had time to get bored silly just yet. Also, I realize you asked for no frying, baking, watching, etc. My only suggestion would be to cook up a 'batch' of a couple things, so that you can nuke, eat and run in the morning. (This won't work for #4.)

1. Chocolate protein shake with 3/4 c. 1% milk and some ice cubes. (9 grams)

2. Leftover quiche (someone else mentioned this too, and it's a great thing!) that's usually about 4-5 grams on it's own from the veggies in it. That leaves room for a T. low-carb ketchup and 1/2 cup fresh strawberries (9 grams, give or take)

3. A couple of hard-boiled eggs, warmed in the micro, with some sort of meat, generally some ham, and 1/2 c. canteloupe (6 grams) Easy to eat in the car.

4. A strawberry omelette. I know, this sounds gross, but try it and see what you think. Cook two eggs (NO SALT) in an omelet pan, and use 3/4 cup of sliced strawberries sweetened w/splenda as the filling. Serve with some ham. To me, this is almost as good as strawberry pancakes or waffles. Hmm, I wonder what whipped cream would be like on this . . . (6 grams)

Hope this helps!

-Catinhat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 02:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

One word...

Leftovers!

They're all you really need....

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/257/155
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default BUILDING ON THOSE LEFTOVERS......

Hi Sue,
I despise cooking in the morning, and can't face eggs more than a few times a month. Building on Karen's post, leftovers do the trick for me!

I like to make up a bunch of crepes each week (a very thin mix of no-carb pancake mix & water fried on a grill), and in the mornings all I have to do is fill a couple of crepes with my supper leftovers (stir-fried vegies, meats, even egg or chicken salad) and I have a great breakfast that is low in carbs and virtually no prep work! Nuke the filled crepe if you want a hot breakfast, or have it chilled if you choose a cold filler. :-)

I like smoothies, too...I make one with water, frozen strawberries, splenda, and a couple of scoops of whey powder. Add some guar gum powder to help it thicken and you've got a delicious sweet morning shake that is very low in carbs. You can add cream to the shake but I like to save the cream carbs for my coffees.

Hope this helps....morning meals were the most difficult for me until I discovered how easy it was to make use of my leftovers.

Phyllis (aka Cat Lady)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 07:07

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen
One word...

Leftovers!

They're all you really need....

Karen

repeat this many many times... It really is all the advice you need on the issue...
Doods
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 03:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Wink WHO HAS LEFTOVERS?

EVERYONE KEEPS TALKING ABOUT EATING LEFTOVERS. I GUESS I NEED TO COOK MORE, BECAUSE WE ALMOST NEVER *HAVE* LEFTOVERS

ACCORDING TO SOME OF THE ANTI-CANDIDA STUFF I HAVE READ, ONE SHOULDN'T EAT LEFTOVERS...THOUGH I CAN'T IMAGINE LEAVING STUFF SO LONG IT BECOMES PROBLEMATIC.

RIGHT, I'LL START COOKING IN BULK SO THAT I HAVE LEFTOVERS. I GUESS I WAS ALWAYS AFRAID THAT IF I COOKED IN BULK, I'D THEN *EAT* IN BULK
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 11:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

You could think of them as Planovers instead.

Doreen