#51   ^
Old Sun, May-01-11, 09:41

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
So this means that you think that emotional issues are a character flaw?

No, not at all.

I'm saying revamping our mental state won't do any good if we are not addressing the biochemical feedback that created that mental state in the first place.

I got a grip on my binging by recognizing I had developed my eating disorder as a reaction to a stressful adolescence. I binged because it was the only tool I had to make my brain temporarily feel better due to a situation I couldn't control.

When I got out on my own and could control my environment, I came up with better ways of handling my stress; and I didn't need so many, either. Making my environment better was something I could control.

But my brain still had the old reflexes that had been shaped by stress eating. I can't control the way my brain works. I can only use it to change the reflexes.

I meant my statement to be a warning against attributing our emotional/food issues to character: I don't have willpower, I'm weak, I must still have these emotional problems or why else can I not resist xx?

Having emotional issues are simply a byproduct of having emotions, and I'm all for having emotions. But using food as an emotional handling tool is a two-edged sword that can really hurt us if we don't do it right. Thinking our food issues are all emotional ones is one such trap.

Confusing what we control, and what we can't, will continue to cause us problems.