View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-30-17, 13:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ken - this is a very thorough review of exogenous ketones in general and the Pruvit ketone product in particular. I agree with most of his points, however, there is a point he makes (highlighted in bold below) where I have doubts.
Quote:
I think one of the most important things Pruvit (and other ketone companies) should market at this point, is threefold: 1) Be clear that ketone products should *not* be taken unless on a very low-carb or ketogenic diet, 2) Be very up front about the negative metabolic consequences of taking exogenous ketones without simultaneous severe carb restriction, and 3) Make sure to stop conflating true nutritional ketosis with effects of exogenous ketone consumption.

In speaking with the Pruvit people at the same conference, I asked how an exogenous ketone product would benefit one who was already in ketosis due to a strict low carb diet. I received no plausible answer other than to point out I could cheat and get back into ketosis more quickly. At this time, I strongly believe that producing endogenous ketones through carb restriction is more beneficial and exogenous ketones should not be taken by those on a ketogenic diet, as they might risk their current state of using fat as primary fuel over glucose. If I can produce my ketones naturally, why would I want to change the metabolic pathway to include exogenous ketones and possibly (this is an assumption) shut down my natural fat burning in the process? I agree, lots more to learn before I start consuming what could very well be technologically advanced snake oil!