Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 10:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetow Kim
Thanks Verbena,

I have to wonder if the boiling kills the probiotic health benefits of the fermentation. I've seen beliefs and theories that cooking kimchi and overheating miso kills the good stuff.

I have these special fermenting crocks that I may use to make some fermented sauce

https://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Korean...ASIN=B00M40ANMO

I've made kimchi, fermented pickles and sauerkraut...all edible but never as good as store-bought for some reason. It's another opportunity to work these things in to service again.

I'll take all that in to consideration. I'm also not opposed to green sriracha...I know its a mind twister, but I make a green jalapeno sauce...of course most jalapenos are green, but I actually let mine ripen on the vine quite often and they will turn shades of red and purple/black, which would make a jalapeno sauce look weird! But still tasty.

This now has me thinking a sriracha ketchup combo idea...no sugar of course. I have some erythritol coming, that might help with the sweetening

Yes, my understanding is that high heat will kill the probiotics. Which is why miso soup shouldn't have the miso added till after it comes off the heat. And why I try to eat some of my sauerkraut everyday in its raw state. The fermenting of the sriracha is for flavor, I believe, but bcause I don't use it as quickly as some do I follow the recommendation to heat it so it doesn't separate.
I made a green jalapeņo sauce once (copycat green Tabasco); tasted good, but it did separate as I hadn't cooked it.
Neat little fermenting vessel. I have an expensive Sauerkraut crock from Germany, but mostly it is just decorative, as it is really too big for my needs. A half gallon canning jar also works well.