View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 11:35

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Pork Rinds...flavored!

My wife hates them, but I have always kind of liked them, especially the flavored ones.

I was excited to see they are an indulgence we can have on low carb and can be used for coatings, etc..

So I started shopping, and sadly, so far the flavored ones I found have sugar in them. Why do manufacturers feel like sugar has to be in almost everything? Because MSG freaks people out? (that's another subject..the stuff isn't as bad as people think).

So, my "cheffy" mind starts churning and I took some regular salted pork rinds, tossed them in a 1 gallon bag leaving plenty of room and shook in some Franks hot sauce powder in there (no sugar in that stuff but very salty for the salt concerned). Shaking the bag of course...and re-shake every time you grab it for a few to nibble on.

Really good! Albeit a bit salty because they were already salty and the Franks powder is salty. But in small doses, a great grab for some snacky crunch.

So..."word to the people"! Pork rinds with all their "nooks and crannies" (porosity for the technical minded) take up powdered flavor easily!

If I could find some unsalted pork rinds the Franks powder would be fantastic.

BUT! Even with salted pork rinds, a mix of fine or powdered seasoning is a great way to jazz those things up and take control of the ingredients and flavor profile yourself.

Keep with powdered or fine seasonings. Larger flakes etc. will not stick and stay as well and end up in the bottom of the bag.

It only ends with your imagination. I have found all kinds of powders on spice sites like MySpiceSageDotCom (not an ad, just who i have used, your mileage may vary). Including vinegar powders, cheese powder and even powdered soy sauce, Worcestershire (wash your sister sauce) powder and hot sauce powders...even lemon and citric and ascorbic acid powders.

This is a good way to buy the cheaper bulk size packaging and spare the expense of the flavored ones (in some cases they are more expensive) and have a variety of flavor only limited by your mind but also tuned to your preferences. And if there are unsalted ones...even better, but if you add salt, used the finest salt you can find so its not lost in the bottom of the bag.
Sponsored Links