Thread: Sous vide
View Single Post
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Oct-18-09, 13:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Getting the temperature low enough is not a problem if you have a pot big enough. I just tested a sixteen quart pot of water for two hours and was able to maintain 132 - 134 degrees F. I have one burner that's electric which I think will be more constant and safer than gas. And with a 16 quart pot on it, I have it on "3" on the dial, I can go lower if need be.

I was restrained with the seasonings after your comments about flavors being intensified. I used salt, 4 whole peppercorns, 1 whole small dried red chile, 2 whole peeled garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon of dried thyme and 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seed for four pounds of chuck. The chuck is well marbled and has a layer of fat on the outside too, so I left out the butter I was going to use. I hope I don't regret that.

The sous vide document says I need to do this pot roast for 24 - 48 hours! Holy moly! I guess it'll be chicken for dinner tonight. Hmmm ... maybe those thighs could go in the pot too.

The lamb stew sounds delicious. Avgolemono sauce is under-utilized. It's always so delicious I wonder why I don't do it more often.

ETA: After looking back at the doc, I realized that I forgot to cut the whole roast in half. I had to open it up again so I added the butter after all.