View Single Post
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-09, 08:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This was my belated birthday present to myself! Oh good! I hope some more people get the equipment so we can share stories and learn from one another.

This morning I am making savory egg custard sous vide. Eggs, some cooked tomatoes (onion, garlic, evo, red pepper flakes) and a touch of fish sauce. It should cook into a really slightly coddled custard... if things work out correctly. I'm cooking to 155' which is where my slightly coddled lemon curd was cooked.

I'd have put some bacon in it, but my bacon was all frozen! Oh well, next time.

I have a turkey breast I need to sous vide, to practice for thanksgiving. I think I will use onion/garlic powder, lemon juice (frozen into a cube so I can vacuum pack the bag), some bacon fat and some fresh herbs (rosemary, perhaps sage). Just need to figure out a good cooking temperature... I think 145 is what I saw somewhere. And what I read they had deboned the breast but maybe I'll leave it in for the extra flavor.

I'm also thinking about how to make gravy. In one of the articles I read they made fish stock from sous vide salmon by cooking it at 180-185 and putting a lot of water into the ziploc bag. Then to get the stock, they punch a whole in the bag and let the salmon water drain out. So maybe I could buy some turkey drumsticks and do that and get a nice turkey broth.