#4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 08:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang
Therefore my final conclusion is that the DEXA scan physiologist is suggesting a visceral fat target which is impossible but I guess it is good for business if people believe it and keep coming back for scans to check their 'progress'.

I think this conclusion is the most likely. The CEP has a horse in this race, and that is to sign you up to a nutritional and resistance program based on the DEXA results. Both were recommended. Move more, eat less, and get subsequent scans (every 3 months) to track progress. Definitely good for business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang
Should I nonetheless be concerned about having 1 kg of visceral fat? Well I’m not sure but I do wonder how much of it might actually be necessary fat. I understand that organs like the kidneys naturally sit in a layer of fatty tissue called the adipose capsule/perinephric fat. I have no idea what mass this might represent but I rather suspect that some of what the DEXA scan measures as apparently ‘nasty visceral’ fat is probably just this essential perinephric fat.

This is the key. Had you some data from a previous scan before you began losing weight, you would have been able to measure progress, but I think your calculations are fairly close in terms of the amount of visceral fat you had before your weight loss and the amount you have today. I strongly believe people need to have a certain amount of visceral fat for protection of organs. How much is the optimum is the real question and unlikely to be answered accurately by the CEP. Significantly reducing; although, not eliminating, visceral fat is the real sign of progress here.

Thanks for the long post. You have done the real research here in your N=1 experience. Very informative information that I believe can be used to better understand the accuracy of DEXA scans and to ensure that the Janmahasation formula is applied to get the most dependable results. One can speculate about why the clinic offering the DEXA scan and interpretation of results uses a different formula.