Thread: Carb cycling???
View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 07:55

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

Hey Big Daddy D... I have been doing the carb cycling for the past month. I didn't "discover" carb cycling until a few days after I finally reached my goal weight. I was looking for a way to maintain my weight loss without having to keep my carbs low all the time. I can say that it is working well for me. I have lost an additional 3 lbs, which is fine with me as I want to stay closer to 140 and keep it below my goal weight.

I had a hard time finding info on carb cycling as well, since most of what is online is for body builders. I did get a used copy of Jay Robb's The Fat Burning Diet, but have since passed it on to a friend and fellow low carber. His is a bit different, but still has the same ideas as what I found online.

I do 3-4 LC days where I keep my carbs around or below 20. 1-2 days I call my mid carb(MC) days where I have 50-60 gms of carbs. Then 1 day a week, I have my high carb (HC) day where I will go 100 or more. After my mid carb days, I go back to 2 LC days and after my HC day, I again do 2 LC days. It's normal for me to gain 1.5-2# after my MC and HC days, but I've found that the weight comes back off quickly when I go back to LC days and that usually by the time my HC day rolls around again, I have lost more weight. Last week was TOM for me, so I didn't lose any, but I'll see how it goes this week now that that is over with. I think the carb levels are entirely up to you and will depend on how carb sensitive you are. It may take some playing with them to figure out what will work the best.

I'm very pleased with carb cycling so far. They say that it's like any program and your body will still get use to your "cycling schedule" and your weight loss can stall, so I've read suggestions where you can do up to(but no more than)3 "zero carb" days where you cut almost all carbs, or you can have a "cheat day" or a "cheat meal" and eat anything you want and then go right back to LC again.

Jay Robb's is a bit different approach. He says to follow this plan:

Day 1: LC all day
Day 2: LC all day
Day 3: LC all day but have an HC dinner
Day 4: LC all day
Day 5: LC all day
Day 6: LC all day but have an HC dinner
Day 7: LC all day but have an HC dinner

He gives certain carb, protein and fat grams to eat per meal depending on if you're male or female and to have protein snacks. At one of the HC dinners, he says to make it one where you have whatever you want... even if it's sugar or more along the lines of junk food. He does say to try to eat it within one hour.

Another place I read that you can do LC all week and HC on the weekend... Others say to change carb levels every day by about 50-75 gms. It can get confusing, so I stopped reading and did a little bit of everything into what worked for me!

Anyway, it appears that there are no set rules for those of us who aren't bodybuilders, which is fine with me. I have enjoyed NOT having to follow a lot of "rules"! lol... I do plan my days ahead of time, though, because it does take a lot of self control when I have to go back to the LC days. But other than that, it's been pretty easy and I am really enjoying it. I especially enjoy the HC day and will spend several days planning what I am going to have! I had more of a "cheat meal" for my HC day this week but kept it quite healthy, but with more carbs than my normal HC. It was fun!

You and your wife are doing awesome. I wish you the very best with your carb cycling experiment!