View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-18, 10:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

That does seem to be where he's at--a diet where people may or may not come in and out of ketosis, he's saying that for most people it doesn't matter that much. My own experience--at a higher body weight, a slightly more insulinogenic, less ketogenic diet gave me good results, including some of the mood benefits, kept appetite in check etc. It's at a lower body weight that I need to tighten things up.

I think maybe you could look at it as insulin level vs. fat stores. Lowering insulin is like taking a log off a dam, the water/fat finds a new, lower level--and at that point to get further benefit, insulin needs to be lower still. Take another log off. Not so much minimizing insulin for fat loss as lowering it relative to current fat mass. A bit simplistic but it seems to hold true for me, at least. Do I need to be in ketosis? Maybe even indirectly, because by the time ketones start rising, glucose availability is going to be low enough that they are needed--so that by definition, if your diet needs to be low enough in carbohydrate and protein to get insulin low enough to maintain a given bodyweight that significant ketosis develops, then you actually do need to be in ketosis. Which is to say, when things are working right, your body is in ketosis when it needs to be.

That's still not being in ketosis for the sake of being in ketosis. If a blood ketone meter told me my current plan didn't have me in ketosis, I wouldn't worry, since things seem to be going okay, I'd just wonder where my brain was finding enough alternate fuel to not need it. At any rate, if insulin is what matters, certainly the more ketogenic a diet is, the less insulinogenic, they sort of travel together.