View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-09-10, 20:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 116/110/110 Female 5"1'
BF:
Progress:
Red face Radiant Recovery experience

I want to share my experience with the Radiant Recovery, which I began using after working with Atkins and South Beach. My main comment is that I found the book to be very helpful in my situation, and I am following the steps. I am on Step 6.

That said, like others who have posted here, I have found the tone on the RR forum to be condescending and highly intolerant of individual experience that doesn't agree with RR 100%. Ms. DesMaissons posts rules about keeping tone and language appropriate, yet she and her moderators routinely upbraid people who disagree, or struggle to follow the steps perfectly. God forbid you mention the desire to lose weight on the forum--you're quickly chastised and/or branded either an exercise addict or someone with an eating disorder. (I freely admit to sugar addiction!)

Last summer, a woman posted on the fitness forum about how hard it is to lose weight despite working out hard and eating well, given her age (48). When I joined in with a relieved, "You, too?" (I'm also 48 and athletic) and engaged in a discussion about peri-menopause, we were both chastised, accused of being "exercise addicts", and told our posts were "on moderation." (When I told several friends about the "exercise addict" accusation, they cracked up. I never hesitate to take rest days!) The situation even became more bizarre and since then, I rarely visit the website.

As I said, I do follow the RR program--it works for me. At the same time, I find the thinking on the listserv to be rigid, harsh and uncompromising. So, proceed with caution. Use the books, pass on the listserv--or, just read posts.