Thread: Black Soy Beans
View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-17-18, 15:47

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

You are right about carb info, it can be tricky. A lot of people dont realize dry spices have carbs and almost everyone's favorite, garlic powder, is pretty high in carbs!

My main point was the belief that the canned black soybeans labeling was not correct...that the total carbs had the fiber already subtracted from it on the label. That was Kristine's input. If she's right thats false labeling on a food product and should be reported, I just dont know if she's right...leaving open either way being the answer. I only know what the label says and that its illegal (I think) for a company to knowingly falsely label a product.

Here is nutrition info on regular soybeans. Its based on 100 grams, so that may be less than 1/2 cup.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/soybeans

The black soybeans say 130 grams is 1/2 cup...but I suppose the two types of beans could have a different density or weight per half cup.

Here are the black soy beans

https://www.edenfoods.com/store/ima...nlea/103050.gif

On this black soy label they are now breaking out the insoluble fiber separate from the soluble fiber. That may mean something but I'm keeping it simple, in the Atkins frame of reference, we are told to subtract fiber and any sugar alcohols from the total carb number for a net carbs value.

Just for the sake of discussion, lets just say 100 grams of black soybeans, rounded up is 1 gram net carbs because we'd have to fraction that gram to do 100 grams technically and I HAVE found that manufacturers DO NOT have to report fractions of carbs. If a product unit has less than half a gram I think they can legally say none, half to .99 they have to call it 1...I think.

The regular soybeans' nutrition info DOES get in to tenths, which is unusual. multiplying the 100grams by 1.3 to assume a half a cup, 130grams X 2, that would equal to about 13 grams total carbs per 1/2 cup or 26 grams per cup. But the net carbs after subtracting the fiber is only a little over 10 grams carbs per cup...by this nutrition label of regular soy beans. Mileage may vary from what I have found.

I know thats getting in to the weeds and choosing the higher count is the safe bet but you could be leaving some carbs on the table, especially in stage 2-4 Atkins. Induction is so intense, it would make a huge difference if the black soy beans were mislabeled. I'm thankfully past induction and its not a good idea to stay at induction levels of carbs more than a couple months max as I recall reading. That's just not enough for normal brain function over the long term. 20grams and less is drastic but what is required for induction to get keto rolling.