#1   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 19:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/124/118
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default question about ketosis

Hello everyone.
I have a question for you but first I want to lay out some details first.
Okay, I started the Atkins diet against my doctor's wishes. He said that I was finally getting my sugar under better control with insulin. He also told me that doing this diet would be harmful to me if I didnt stick with it. I just listened and didnt tell him that I planned to do it anyway. I am a type two diabetic that takes several injections a day and one at bedtime. The day after I started the Atkins diet I tested to see if I had ketones in my urnine and it immediatly turned the darkest color on the stick. I was happy. A friend of mine didnt even show a trace. I had stopped all insulin for fear of bottoming out. My sugars were normal. I had reading that were anywhere from 67 to 90. But by day four I was extremely tired. I had no energy at all and became depressed. The next day I quit the diet. (I failed) I am only 10 lbs overweight. I know ketosis is not harmful "But" when a diabetic has so many ketones in their body and they dont follow through with the diet and your sugar shoots up can those ketones harm you? I woke up in the middle of the night after having bad dreams, totally soaked in sweat, feeling like I was bottoming out and I was dizzy. Took my BS and it was 94. My sweat had an awful smell to it. I had never had that happen before. Does anyone have any idea what happened or had a similar experience?
Sorry so long but I wanted you to know all the facts.
Thanks
Susie
Sponsored Links