#15   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 19:02

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jenn*
I hadn't realized that diabetics were being consulted to eat so many carbs. That helps to explain why there isn't much of a market... with that kind of allowance, sugar marinades and tortilla strips become insignificant...My bigger curiosity is to why things are the way that they are - and that recommended amount of carbs kinda says it all!

It's really very sad. When I was diagnosed with type 2, I dove headfirst into research, and I discovered the wonders on low-carb and high-fat. My mother is also a type 2, and my father is as well, though he is in denial (refuses to admit to being more than "pre-diabetic"). My mother insists she cooks very "healthy" for them. You know, they use WHOLE GRAIN spaghetti, low-sugar oatmeal, corn/peas/carrots quite regularly (obviously excellent choices since they are vegetables), only skim milk, always lowfat mayo, etc. I have tried many times to explain the reality of low-carb to her, but I think she just thinks it's "too hard" and won't really give it an honest effort. It's so painful to know how much better they could be doing if only I could move in with them and cook their meals all day, every day :P

But why would she listen to me when her diabetes classes and her PCP tell her she's doing all the right things?