Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 17:53
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Thanks for the tip about the freezing! Boy that sure makes it not very doable, if I have to use fresh and can't freeze it. I'll bet a head, even a small one, will make a TON of rice and I would have to eat it for days, which is never a good thing for me to do, if I want to keep liking something. Any idea what volume a small head of grated cauliflower makes? I'm imagining at least 4 Cups.

Oh well. It was a nice thought.

I know it's "allowed." The qualifier is, of course, that you have to be able to portion control it and it can't set off cravings. Hence, the reason I'm trying to come up with a substitute, even while on maintenance, is that I *can't* trust myself with a small portion of rice. A small portion won't do...and once in a while won't do...and brown and wild rice won't do. I like white rice, I like a lot of it, and I like it often. Better not to have it than to try to settle for 1/2 a cup--which packs a 20g carb punch. And half a cup? Not worth messing with. I know myself...plus I'm trying to keep grains out of my life for the most part, as categorically, they cause problems for me in the trigger department.

Thanks everyone!
Elle, I used the smallest head of cauliflower I could find. It was about 5 inches in diameter, IIRC. After I fried it, I ended up with about 2 or 3 reasonably small servings of cauli-rice. I tried to freeze the leftovers, because I didn't think I'd use the extra serving(s) within the week. I've never been a big fan of rice, even when I ate a hc diet. If you like stir-fries, then you could probably quite easily use up the amount you would get from a small head of cauliflower.