View Single Post
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 09:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%

Hello everyone! This tread died a while ago and I would like to see if I could revive it. I think we need it here since we are dealing with problems that are unique to this area.
I have a few issues I would like discussed. See if you are interested and please join in!
First of all, Happy Pessah! What did you eat this holiday? I ate pretty much what I usually eat. People would say to me "oh you are doing l/c what will you eat", not realizing that the main problem on Pessah is davka with the carbs! I eat meat, eggs, cheese and so forth like I do all year. They are the ones with the problem, not me. They are the ones that need to look for replacement food for all of the high carb foods they are used to eating. Whatever would they do without kosher for Pessah macaroons, cookies, cereal and cake? And the prices they had to pay for all of that – crazy! This year I found Matzot Rishon light matza. I actually stood for 20 minuets in the aisle comparing the different matzot. It even says l/c on the box! Each matza is supposed to have 16.7g carbs and 6.9g dietary fiber. Now here is the problem: I have found that sometimes the carbs don't add up. Sometimes different companies list dietary fiber and different types of carb separately, so when it comes to counting total carbs and then subtracting the fiber the number is impossible. I am pretty sure that matzot rishon, who sell the product abroad list it correctly and each matza contains 10.7 carbs. But what should we do about other products. Has anyone contacted companies to find out? Who do you complain to? There should be a unified listing like they do with fats.
I contacted various tomato sauce companies such as yacin and others. I noticed that they advertise 100% natural and then in some of the products on the side in small letters it says glucose. Depending on the size of the package it would say if it contained glucose but both (even the one without glucose listed) said 16g carbs. Now how can that be? I got various answers, none made any sense (when they added glucose they got the same carb count). Have you noticed this? I have stopped using tomato sauce and now I use crushed tomatoes. I don't like the texture as much but it has only 6 carbs (who knows how much of that is fiber, it is not listed), and It goes just as well in Shakshuka!
Taubes book: Good Calories, Bad Calories. What about contacting Matar, the publishers of some of the Atkins books to get them to publish a translation. I read the book and I think it is well needed in Hebrew! Low fat is totally IN now, l/c is not healthy. I get that all of the time. I think this book in Hebrew would make waves. (and then we might have more to eat and less hidden glucose in 100% natural foods).
I have more issues to discuss but lets see if anyone is interested in this thread first!