#55   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-09, 14:48

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, 160 is pretty good, but even that doesn't kill all the botulism organisms. I've been reading and the food safety thing is very complicated! Apparently to completely kill botulism you have to heat things to above 212'! And of course, no one does that in the normal course of cooking, but in canning. The issue with sous vide *is* botulism because like in canning, the food is in an airless environment that the organism likes very well. However, if you're going to eat your stuff right away, or freeze it, you should be ok.... 130 pasteurizes things and kills stuff like e-coli and salmonella and kills the toxins created by botulism (I think).

Wikipedia says botox is neutralized at 140 degrees. But you're right that the organism can withstand very high temperatures. The reason it's even a concern in canning is that it doesn't do well with competition - only when all the other organisms are killed off does C. Botulinum fluorish. But I think that takes time. A few hours in the cooker is not enough to make any appreciable amount of botox, so as you said, eating or freezing it right away is the way to go.

Salt and acidity also kill it.