View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 09:16

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
This generally lowers the activity of the sympathetic nervous system, increases thyroid activity, improves glycogen storage, and starts shuttling glucose from ingested food into muscle cells where it creates muscle growth and the generation of heat and energy. This reduces insulin resistance.

No. When cells deplete their glycogen and glucose stores, they become insulin sensitive to allow glucose and glycogen to enter more easily to replenish their fuel stores. Once that's done, they become insulin resistant once more: They don't need anymore fuel.
Quote:
If I am not mistaken she did not lose a single pound of body weight during this time, so any drop in insulin cannot be attributed to weight loss or calorie restriction.

He's got his cause and effect mixed up. Insulin is the cause, and fat mass regulation is the effect. In the quote above, he implies that fat mass regulation is the cause, and insulin level is the effect. What he should have said instead: "Since there was no change in weight even as insulin level dropped significantly, then we cannot conclude from this that insulin is the regulator of body mass". We must keep in mind that he's talking about a single individual, not about a group of people such as found in clinical studies for example. Studies which would otherwise answer such questions.
Quote:
I am still low in iron, which is surprising to me considering I eat red meat, but I think the high RT3 and celiac disease all play a part in this.

Ah HA! Celiac disease plays havok with digestion and fat regulation and appetite. If low iron is evidence of celiac, and if celiac is evidence of wheat intake, and if wheat intake is a singular driver of obesity independently of caloric intake (Wheat Belly), then we can hypothesize that she did not lose weight, in spite of a significant drop in insulin level, because of the wheat still present in her diet.

Note these two values. They are in flagrant conflict:
Quote:
Glucose: 49 (65-100)
HBA1C: 5.9 (4-6)

HbA1c is an indicator of average carb intake over the last 6 months or so. It's pretty high. This implies a significant carb intake, which suggests an error in the lab value for FBG, or a poor compliance with the pre-test protocol (maybe she ate carbs too soon before the test, which could have caused FBG to drop so low during the test, as insulin was bouncing up and down).
Note leptin level and her hypothesis on that matter:
Quote:
Leptin: 21(<20)
I am leptin resistant obviously. Any cure/ideas for that? I have read that it is related to reverse T3, as reverse T3 makes the brain think it is starving and thus leptin resistance.

No. Leptin level is an indicator of leptin resistance, but it's also an indicator of fat mass, i.e. how much fat she has. She didn't lose any weight, therefore the high leptin level is easily explained. Maybe leptin could have dropped if she'd lost weight, but I'm not sure since leptin level might be associated with adipocyte number, but not adipocite content, i.e. the number of fat cells, not the amount of fat in them.
Quote:
If you are still under the influence of low-carb dogma, and believe that eating carbohdyrates will raise your insulin levels, snap out of it. In the right context, carbs are your best metabolic friend, and what passes as science and physiology in the low-carb realm is a complete scientific fairy tale…

That is one big gigantic caveat emptor. People are eating more and more carbs, and we're growing fatter and fatter. Maybe this "right context" is really hard to find.

You know what they say about opinions. Well, mine is always better than theirs. I win.