Old Sun, Apr-13-14, 11:59
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Berkley, MD)
If you are in the process of "cleaning up your yard", select a diet that lowers insulin. What works is any low carb diet that has total carbs of 100 grams or below per day. I recommend that your weight loss diet look very much like a diet you could follow permanently. My objection to the Atkins diet is that the very low carb requirement makes it tough to continue. In addition, I have not found that lowering carbs as much as Atkins recommends is necessary to get weight loss. Our patients do just fine on about 100 grams (or slightly more) per day. We achieve a continued low calorie count (necessary for the weight loss phase) by using liquid meal replacements and bars for part of the day. This approach is very successful, can be picked up again when weight creeps up in maintenance, or can be partially adopted as a permanent plan. Permanent maintenance diets should have lots of vegetables, some fruits and good quality animal proteins.

Whether you are contemplating weight loss, in the throes, or trying to maintain, remember that everything hinges on this: Don't assume that you have solved your problem once weight is lost. Seek the switch and pull firmly!

Every word that she wrote here has been my 100% experience. So to say that I agree would be a bit of an understatement.
I have been at around 100 grams of carbs since I started this 10 yrs ago. I never did go down as low as Atkins Induction requires to lose any of my weight.
While I did not do liquid meal replacements this time, I have done them in one of my past diet incarnations and failed. I need solid food and many choices to keep myself satiated. Know thyself!

I really like how she ends this post: once weight is lost, the problem is not solved...unless you keep eating the same way you did to lose it in the first place. I've been saying this since I began my maintenance more than 8 yrs. ago. I keep repeating this but it goes to deaf ears in that most people think that if 20 carb grams a day is good, less must be better .....OWL phased is there for a big reason. As long as we see this as a short term fix and not a life long way to eat....not raising carb levels will stay a fixed outcome. When I began to see that life at or below 20 grams a day would be stifling for me ( and most people), did I then see the value in the way I was eating to lose my weight.