View Single Post
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 00:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%

Well.. let me add my .02.

I did a fair amount of reading online.. some research.. talked to a few people that had success with Atkins... etc. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I really decided to try it. I dont like to do something I dont know much about. Now.. Im not the type of person to curl up into a book and read a few hundred pages if I can get a basic outline of a diet and go from there. I didnt read one page in a book and still lost 11-12lbs in the first 3 weeks of induction... thats just off of online reasearch. Printed out the "allowed list" and the basic outline of induction... followed it to the tee... and it worked obviously.

When I joined this site.. a few days ago.. I had a few basic questions. Valid ones too. Some of you read my "Cheese and Induction" thread. Basically I researched on cheeses and found that some cheeses have less then 1g of carbs, which I was aware of.. but was under the assumption that some cheeses have 0 as well. All I asked was "why only 3-4 oz of cheese if we count the carbs?" I had one response, the first one, which basically let me know that there were hidden carbs in all cheeses... which just about answered my Q. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that carbs add up even if their fractions of carbs. So that still left me with "Why only 3-4oz if we count them?"

The second post was only helpfull in the way that it told me how important the book was. Which was fine but at the same time that person went ahead and told me something I already knew.. saying "As you will find when you read the book, Dr A limits cheese to 3 to 4 oz during Induction. " I didnt need to know that, honestly. I just was wondering WHY only 3-4 oz IF you count the carbs. Is there something in cheese besides the carbs thats makes it not ok to eat more then 3-4 oz daily? Thats what I was getting at.

Now.. after reading the responses from some it seems to me that the same question was rattling around in other peoples heads too. I recall someone saying that it didnt specify why in the book. Which is the same thing I found when I was researching online for that answer.

What if I had read the book? Would I have been treated differently in that post? The person who stressed the book said they found my question "strange" and for some reason that person was basically telling me that I was trying to do the LC diet without doing any reading which in fact I had. What I found interesting is while I thought I screwed up by not reading I found that other people had the same Qs, people that had read the book. Is it cause Im a newbie? Is this not a support forum? I suggest the regs here answer questions... I mean in this thread someone said "they read the book but obviously got nothing out of it"... so those people dont deserve help or answers from those that may have picked up what they didnt?

All Im saying is.. this is a support forum.. if someone hasnt read the book and has question then sure.. preach to them about reading the book BUT answer their Qs if they have them!

Im not angry at the person that came back at me like that.. but a little more friendly advice would be great in the future.

BTW.. I bought the book.