#24   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 03:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/170/130
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default low carber in Singapore!

Hi Debbie and Fairday,

I've been trying to get in touch with LC'ers in Sg but doesn't seem like there's alot. Anyway, I'm happy to see your posts! I've been low carbing since mid April this year and even though initially I find it very trying, it gets easier after the first 2 weeks (Thank God!). I find that I am not really a carb addict. I don't crave for rice or breads or pastas or sugar. I think this makes it easier for me. Even when I have dinner with my family (at home or in a restaurant), I just eat the other dishes while everyone eats rice. I was never tempted to put rice into my mouth again (heehee).

I usually make my own meals. This way I know what goes in my food. Ohh, one good thing about LC is that I start eating (and liking) veggies. I think in this past month, I've eaten more veggies than I've ever eaten for the past 29 years! In the beginning, I eat salads, with dressings and stuff. But now I prefer my veggies raw (fresh and crunchy). I eat LOTS of fish and chicken moderately. I don't like red meat too much so I don't have alot of that (unless it's cooked in a nice dish). I'm a Muslim, so I don't eat pork. Below is my typical daily menu:

B: 2 - 3 eggs (scrambled, omelette or devilled), chicken/turkey ham/bacon, sometimes with cheese, Protein shake or sometimes black decaf tea/Chinese tea
L: Grilled/pan-fried fish or chicken, big cup of salad (raw)
D: Same as lunch or stir-fried shirataki noodles

I don't snack ('cos I'm always full!) and I drink ALOT of water.

Exercise: 4 - 5 times a week on average
Aerobics: 2 - 3 times a week
Weight training: 3 - 4 times a week
Cardio: 3 - 4 times a week

I join Amore Expressions (all-ladies gym and aerobics classes) and try to put in 2 sessions a week. Besides that, I try to spend an hour, 2 - 3 times a week at the gym at work. I drink the protein shake (~2g carbs in an 8oz serving) so that I can recover quickly from my heavy workout and also build lean muscle mass. Muscles burn calories even when we are not working out so it's good . This WOE really gives me alot of energy and vibrance and I LOVE it!

Following Dr Atkins' recommendation, I also take a multivitamin (everyone should!). I got the one from GNC (Women's Mega). Don't be alarmed if you find that your pee is bright yellow, it's just the B Vitamins in the multivit (I was shocked the first time that happened). GNC also has a low-carb nutrition bar by EAS (Myoplex Low Carb, cookies 'n cream flavour). It has only ~1g net carb per 70g bar and tastes pretty good! I have it when I don't have time to cook but I try not to eat it too much.

Someone from another LC forum told us that shirataki noodles are almost 100% carb-free. I was esctatic! (I love noodles). Shirataki is almost 100% fibre (made of tuber root) so it's safe to be used even during Induction. You can easily find these noodles in most supermarkets, especially the Japanese run ones (like in Taka). These noodles are kinda rubbery (but not nasty rubbery, just chewy) and has no taste of its own. It absorbs flavours VERY well so however you cook it, it's delicious! One thing though, make sure you boil the noodles for a few minutes and wash before cooking. The noodles is packed in some sort of liquid and it may smell nasty for some!

Geez, I've been chatty! I can't shut up about this wonderful WOE!!!! Please do continue this thread so that we can discuss and share our stories between SIngaporeans. It's always easier to interact with people close to you.

LC, LC all the WAY!!