Thread: Get your salt!
View Single Post
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Oct-08-12, 04:02

Plan: Dr S D Phinney
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:9 - 10%
Progress: 100%

Very interesting read and I am a big fan of Dr S D Phinney's work especially the book he wrote 'The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance'.

I agree with the low-salt issue and it scared me once years ago. I started on a low-carb (20% protein - 80% fat) with no more than 50gram carb a day not knowing that I need to up my salt/potassium and I ended up with a heart-thumping feeling that I practically felt in my throat! It scared me so much that I thought I was having a heart attack! Couldn't breath etc.

Once I realised that I need to up my salt/potassium, it all went away and my heart was purring like a kitten. :-) It doesn't matter how much cal/mag/zinc you take, it won't solve the heart-thumping experience. Salt/potassium come first before any other minerals.

How I manage my salt/potassium intake...

I aim for minimum 5g salt and same for potassium as well (1:1) and I always aim for 1:5 or even 1:2 if my training is hard or long.

First thing in the morning, I drink a glass of water with 1/4 tsp of sea salt and 1/4 of low-salt (potassium) before breakfast. During breakfast, lunch or dinner, I put a pinch or two of salt and potassium on my foods.

If I am going to use the sauna, which I love and I will have another glass of water with salt/potassium in it like I do before breakfast.

1/2 tsp of potassium = 900mg