#39   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 22:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by enomarb
I have been maintaining now for almost 5 years, and there are lots of people who have never seen me fat and know me as thin. So they have no idea that I live LC. It is new for me. This woman is one of those people, but she is struggling with her weight and after another person told her about my success she did ask me and I spent over an hour talking to her and giving her books and stuff (about 6 months ago). so.....
I was so sorry to hear the bagel story. But it does happen. You are a living reminder of what she has not been able to do - but it is not your problem. Sad, yes. I've hit the same thing with a dear friend. It's hard. But you have to draw the line and protect yourself.

I'm sure we've all also run up against the "oh, you don't have a weight problem! This is fantastic, surely you can have..." I almost always demur politely, but one time I lost it and got mean. I said "You know, urging that dessert on me is like urging an AA alcoholic to have a drink." We both felt terrible, but it was true.

So it is a tough road to hoe. We alienate or irritate friends, family and colleagues. Very few of them get it that it is a WOL, and that we *will* regain all of that weight if we abandon that WOL. So you have to become very selfish. After I'd lost a considerable amount of weight, my partner became my worst enemy on that front. I've "destroyed his interest in cooking." I'm very sorry about that, but on this I will not budge. (And I do all of the cooking, now.)

My sister lost almost 100 lbs on Atkins, then gained it all back because of family pressures about the meals.

So here's a question. I bet there are a lot of us who struggle to maintain because of external pressures. How to deal with that?