View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-16, 21:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
When you’ve got an addiction, let’s say a drug addiction or an alcohol addiction, the best thing you can do is stop taking drugs or stop taking alcohol,” he said in his first video.

Unfortunately you can’t do that with food, you gotta eat. So I thought what else can I do? Perhaps I can choose one kind of food and just stick with it ... So I decided on the potato. Lots of people in the past have lived on nothing but potatoes.

Alright, so he believes he's addicted to food. Well, we're all addicted to food, otherwise we wouldn't be here. So that's not the problem. He decided to eat just one kind of food, that's my kind of guy. But then he chose potatoes. That's the problem. He doesn't know what food is.
Quote:
“I guess potatoes are a much-maligned food, people tend to think of them as empty calories. I’m hoping to show that potatoes are a health food.”

If he eats something else too, like that sweet potato flour or the BBQ sauce, he won't be able to show anything about potatoes. He's gonna have to go with plain potatoes. That's it. I'll allow salt but otherwise nothing, no sauce, binding agents, nothing. Here's how it works. Some essential elements form a tiny iota of total weight/volume, yet they remain essential. So, even if he says he's gonna eat 99% potatoes, there's still the potential for that 1% to provide him with stuff that ain't in potatoes, enough of it to compensate. Just one multi is gonna be less than 1%.

But never mind that for the moment. For sure he's gonna become deficient in fat-solubles cuz his diet has no fat in it. So, vitamin A, D, E, K. So, energy, immune functions, bones, red blood cells, central nervous system, nerves, eyes, muscles, coagulation, and a bunch more things.
Quote:
I can see why people would think it’s a potential health risk, but I’ve done research and I’ve done blood tests and I’m doing it with the blessing of my doctor who is a qualified dietitian,” he said.

No, dude, you can't see why people think it's a potential health risk. You haven't done enough research. Just 30 seconds on google gives me plenty to worry about. You've done 1 blood test 6 days in, but you plan on doing it for 366 days. Your doc is an idjit, especially because he's a qualified dietician, who, even if he only knew about official guidelines, would certainly know about the obvious deficiencies.

He said "Lots of people in the past have lived on nothing but potatoes." I can't find lots of people. I found a couple experiments shorter than this one so I can't extrapolate directly. And in one of them, fat was added. Who are these lots of people in the past? I think it's a myth. Maybe it's just how the article was written, but I get the impression the guy didn't really think this through. Feltham's experiment is quite a contrast in this respect.