#17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-14, 15:13

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 260/218/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMe16
** Fish oil supplements actually will spike blood sugar, not sure if you're aware of that. I'd maybe take a break on that one for a while if you haven't yet since you're still having blood sugar issues.
** Your zinc levels honestly are quite a bit high, too. Did you know if you take high levels of zinc for long periods of time it can actually LOWER your immune system? I would not take a dose above what's in a multivitamin on a daily basis (in the case of an acute issue like a cold or the flu it's fine for a few days); 50mg is a bit high if you do this ALL the time. It will cause more harm than good!
** I don't disagree that, unless you have risk factors towards osteoporosis, you might not need the calcium. People that are more likely to need calcium are: 1 - someone who has a longer family history of osteoporosis, 2 - someone with a smaller, frail frame, 3 - someone who is not on low carb (lol - because low carb actually optimizes absorption of ALL nutrients moreso than any other way of eating!).
**It's also true that, if your reflux/digestive issues are caused by LOW stomach acid, then the calcium you are taking will only make it much worse. The Betaine HCL suggested by Were would definitely be a big help if you are one of the many who has low stomach acid (which actually gives one heartburn, reflux, etc oddly enough!).

The other items on your list are pretty much neutral, and the chromium is beneficial for your blood sugar (though you might want to look into chromium polynicotinate vs. picolinate; new info is showing the polynicotinate form to have more effect and it does not cost any more than the other usually -- I know Solaray makes a product called ActiChrom that is polynicotinate).

Thanks LosingMe16!

Both the fish oil and the zinc are to help with acne control. I didn't appreciate any noticable difference in FBG numbers before and after I started the fish oil. I'm willing to cut it for a while to do a more well controlled test, but I suspect it's not the culprit.

As for the zinc, I was under the impression that less than 100mg/day was OK--since I'm only interested in it's oil attenuating properties for acne control (not immune enhancement) are you still of the mind it's too much?

Calcium--yes, I have a history of osteoporosis in my family (in addition to my values being under on the RDA). And I will definitely switch to algae-sourced.

Digestive issues--I have none. I'm guessing you were referring to the use of the probiotic? That's just to combat the potential side effects of the temporary course of ABX I'm on for the acne.

Chromium picolinate--I will definitely look into the polynicotinate form!