View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-13-07, 19:11
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Wow, Emma! This is such a great list. It should be required reading before posting, lol! It also shows what a thoughtful person you are.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask about one particular part of your excellent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaB
A careful reading of points 1) and 2) will also help to ring the necessary alarm bells about whether the person needs to be on a weight loss diet at all.

This seems to me to be an almost impossible judgment to make with any accuracy unless you actually have seen the person and know what size their frame is. Don't you think? I'm constantly amazed, actually, when I run across members here who are my height and are trying to get down to 130 (I would be skin and bones!) or who are my height and whose goal weight is about where I started (I felt so fat at that weight!). The moral of the story being -- we all carry weight differently. So, generally when I am surprised by someone's height in conjunction with their current weight and their ultimate goal weight, I simply conclude that they must be built differently. It would be really discouraging and frustrating to me, for instance, if someone whose goal weight was 160 started dismissing my pleas for help because she thought I was just fine for my height!

I think you probably mean that we should be on the alert for people who might have become addicted to the diet -- but I just thought I'd throw this caution out there.

Thanks again for the fabulous list!