View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 21:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Not diabetic here (yet), but strong family legacy of ALL the Syndrome X problems. So yes, I want to lose weight, but I also do want to prevent the tragedies that have happened in my family from happening to me... type2 diabetes, heart disease and atherosclerosis, obesity, strokes ....

The original Atkins was the first diet I ever went on, back in the 70s. I was 16 at the time, lost 25 or 30 lbs over the summer. I cut my hair too, and when I went back in the fall, nobody recognised me. It was great (class Nerd here .). I maintained for a few years by continuing to lowcarb, until college and nursing school, where the fear of FAT was drilled into my brain.

Oh ya, I did Scarsdale, and Wt. Watchers, Diet Center, Wt.Loss Clinic, tried McDougall (mega lowFAT) and even went vegan for almost a year. I have other chronic health problems too, and medication.... in recent years, I was told about Protein Power by my acupuncturist, herself a vegetarian, but she recognises and respects that we're not all the same, and some people NEED to eat meat. I've been lowcarbing faithfully for over a year; the weight loss is slow, not steady, but it is loss nonetheless, after a decade of GAINING on lowfat, high-grain diets. (I wasn't even a big candy and junk eater). And my cholesterol and triglycerides have improved, and blood pressure is down.

Just ask me if I plan to go back to the old lowfat, highCARB way of eating. No way!

Doreen