View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 14:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

O.k., I took a close look on these studies, supposedly referring to ketones as unhealthy. Let's take a close look, shall we?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mila
Ok, these authors state that ketosis is body?s response to starvation. Should we widen up our definition of ?starvation diets?, to include high calorie low carb intake diets, not only low calorie intake, into that category? This article is excellent in its overview of the goodness of ketosis.

Ketone bodies, potential therapeutic uses.

Veech RL, Chance B, Kashiwaya Y, Lardy HA, Cahill GF Jr.

Unit on Metabolic Control, LMMB/NIAAA, Rockville, Maryland, USA.

They did not imply it's the only function of ketosis (i.e. no reference to ketosis=starvation) Here's part of that quote:

Ketosis, meaning elevation of D-beta-hydroxybutyrate (R-3hydroxybutyrate) and acetoacetate, has been central to starving man's survival by providing nonglucose substrate to his evolutionarily hypertrophied brain, sparing muscle from destruction for glucose synthesis.

Yes, ketones are central to surviving starvation. That should be a healthy function, I think. But in no way did they conclude, or imply, that it's only under starvation that you become in ketosis.

Interestingly, the study is regarding potential therapeutic uses of ketones. I'd say this is a blow to anyone who claims ketone bodies are "abnormal" or "unhealthy".

Quote:
This article overviews bruising side effect of the ketogenic diets. I experienced it myself.

Bruising and the ketogenic diet: evidence for diet-induced changes in platelet function.

Berry-Kravis E, Booth G, Taylor A, Valentino LA.

Department of Pediatrics, RUSH-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA. eberrykr~rush.edu

If you read the contents of that paper, it is is specifically for epeleptic children.

We're talking about very high-fat, very low-carb plans designed for children with epelepsy, not as a treatment for excess fat. So the claim is not that it's due to ketosis, it's a specific scenario, where many side effects take place for a pre-existing illness.

Fortunately, this has proved as the most effective treatment for epeleptic children. for Ketosis.

Quote:
I post this abstract here only because I mentioned this article in another post of mine on this board, didn?t want to leave that info unreferenced.

Acute pancreatitis causing death in a child on the ketogenic diet.

Stewart WA, Gordon K, Camfield P.

Department of Pediatrics, Dalhousie University, IWK Health Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia. wastewar~is.dal.ca

Again, with a close look, you'll see the discussion is about:
A 9-year-old girl had a seizure disorder with associated developmental delay owing to glucose transport protein deficiency.

Nothing here refutes that Ketosis is a normal body funtion to lose excess fat. It's silly to expect something to cure everything, otherwise it's unhealthy?

If a cancer patient takes multi-vitamins and die, should multi-vitamins be declared unhealthy?

Quote:
Authors of this article do not seem to think that higher carbohydrates diets are bad as long as carbs come from the low glycemic sources

Good, me neither
Quote:
Well, athletes, you are safe with your higher protein consumption, according to this study.

Wonderful news.
Quote:
This article supports high protein intake as long as alkali buffers are included in one?s diet.

Sounds good to me..
Quote:
This article may explain why those who are on a ketogenic diet have trouble maintaining the state of ketosis, it?s the butter, folks! Up your omega-3?s intake!

Read you books folks, almost all LC authors recommend EFA's. Some of us sip it up straight! We don't need experiments on rats with seizures to tell us that

Wa'il