Old Fri, May-24-02, 13:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Mila
the zone recommends anywhere from 0.6 to 1.25g of protein per pound of LBM, depending on level of activity and other metabolic demands.

Hmmm. In "Enter the Zone", Dr. Sears says from 0.6 gram to a maximum of 1 gram, and this is only for weight-lifters, training twice a day, 5 days a week.

Quote:
My LBM is about 90lbs, my protein intake is about 75g per day or higher(0.8-1g of protein per pound of LBM). I am not in ketosis,

Maybe not in "visible" ketosis, where there's heavy excess of ketones.

Quote:
I am not sure why exactly you were in ketosis... something might have brought your blood sugar levels too low for your body to secret ketones as fuel for the brain. do you have reason to think that you have been producing ketone bodies as part of hormonal/metabolic imbalances, not only because 0.6g of protein were too few for you and sent you into starvation mode?

See, this is why I whished Dr. Sears gave a scientific reference to his ketosis claims, so his readers can be sure if ketones really are unhealthy, not just because his marketing department said so.

Yes, starvation does induce ketosis, and that's a healthy body function (an irony lost on Dr. Sears). But it's quite illogical to assume that ketosis without starvation is bad?

If your body has a defense mechanism, such as ketosis, to fight against starvation by burning it's fat for energy, does that mean it's unhealthy to use it to burn excess fat? Hello!

Quote:
2) gradually increasing total caloric intake
(up to 10 times total body weight in calories) while monitoring bodyfat loss and supplementing with up to 5g of long-chain omega-3 fatty acids from various sources daily, exact amount of supplementation depends on the person's TG/HDL ratio. [/B]

You know, this is definitly starting to sound better than the book I have (Enter the Zone). Which book added that? I might check it out.

Wa'il