View Single Post
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-09, 15:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I would second the recommendation to get a frame you can trust and a great bike shop. They can make wheels with more spokes which handles more weight. Also, I got pedal extenders which helps with the thighs putting the feet apart more.

I got a RANS Fusion and love, love it. It's a 'crank forward' frame (cross between conventional diamond frame and recumbent). In the comfort class but also fast and performance oriented.

Money quote from their forum when I was shopping: "the first bike that doesn't tell me how fat I am."

The frame geometry means your belly doesn't fight with your thighs, the gearing means you can move 300 pounds from a dead stop easily, the tires have the perfect balance between rolling resistance and performance...

It's rated to 275 pounds and on their forum a guy who was 330 pounds rode it no problem.

I'm selling this one at the moment but only because I want a girlie step through frame which RANS recently introduced.

RANS bikes

They also now sell a HammerTruck crank forward that is made for bike hauling and can handle 500 pounds. !

These bikes are not cheap is the downside. I saved up for mine and am very happy with it. If it doesn't sell I will be happy too, just, less able to ride in a skirt.