View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-18, 15:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome to the forum! I wish you the best as you give low carb another go. I too had issues with cholesterol after going low carb. My doctor wanted me on statins. Folks here were telling me not to worry about my high LDL as all of my other numbers were improved. I couldn't help but worry. My LDL had doubled and I was being pressured by my doctor every time I went in for a checkup. I was able to talk her out of a prescription for statins. I told her that I would work on my cholesterol issue. I did work on it. I added back a few more carbs and a ton of fiber to my diet. My LDL number slowly got better. Then after being weight stable and no longer in "weight loss" mode my cholesterol numbers became the best they have ever been.

My cholesterol numbers above are shown in the usual USA units. The standard for LDL is that it is supposed to be less than 100. Mine was measured at 248 at its highest. While I do think that some of the things that I did to lower my cholesterol did help, I really think that the numbers simply got better on their own over time. If I'm in weight loss mode or fasting (burning more energy than I'm taking in) my LDL goes up. If I am in a fed state (weight stable or slowly gaining) eating low carb, my LDL goes down. Eating consistently low carb ALL of the other cholesterol numbers (HDL, triglycerides, and VLDL) are outstanding whether I'm gaining or losing. So in the end my cholesterol issue resolved itself and my doctor is very pleased with the numbers. And given what I've figured out about this, higher LDL during weight loss is just part of the process for me. Under my circumstances, I'm not sure that the higher LDL was ever really a health risk. I will admit, it is easier to say that now that my LDL is no longer crazy high. It is nice to have the doctor off my back about a statin, too.