View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 04:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default March 6, 2002

My goal is to get to the gym three times a week and eventually work my way up to some kind of activity six times a week.

I realized yesterday that I wasn't going to make it at lunch, so I went after work. Not my favourite time--it's busier and people are a little less relaxed. However, I did manage to find a free recumbant bike for a 10-minute warmup. I did 2 rounds of the Keiser circuit, 2 sets of my ab and lower back exercises (the names of which I forget except the crunches), and a set of 20-second stretches. I had to put some of my weights down, but I felt very good afterwards. This disproves my theory that it might be the shower in the middle of the day that adds to that sense of well-being. I had the car downtown, so I just went home in my gym clothes.

My knees are feeling much better. Unless I'm really tired I no longer have to climb the stairs one at a time. This is a relief because I was so afraid that it was irreversable. It seems to be more a function of disuse than disability. "Why didn't you see a doctor about it, if you were so worried," I hear you say. Well, I hate being told what to do--I like to do it for myself. And, hey, I am. (It was the same with smoking--didn't quit until I was pretty sure I was pregnant, but I quit before I saw the doctor. That was almost 18 years ago.)

Thanks for the welcome, Fern. As I tell my trainer, I hope some day to be the poster child for formerly out-of-shape 50-year-olds.

Susan