View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 09:04

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i'm not a big fan of stevia in tea, that's one place where i'll use the sugar alcohols by themselves. i don't drink much tea though, usually just herbal teas that don't need any sweetening.

Quote:
When you say some people experience the same problems with it as sugar. What are you referring to more specifically? Weight gain? Blood sugar levels? Everything?
yep, all of the above. plus it can cause bloating. some people have digestive problems with it. i think the dr axe article that you linked to in your first post went into that a bit?

my husband likes to add sugar to spicey foods too, he says it tempers the spiciness? and improves the flavour. i dunno, he makes his own sauces on the side now and adds them on his own plate so that i don't have to worry about the spiciness or the sugar. i've used a bit of baking soda to tone down tomato dishes that usually use a little sugar to do the same job, i don't know what that would do to spicey dishes?

my family uses tapioca starch as a thickening agent sometimes. i usually avoid it but as you say, a little bit spread out over many servings doesn't give much of a carb count anyways.

re honey--we keep our own bees, but i stay away from honey. it's a major trigger food for me. i don't know how many times, hubby has come in with a frame of honey saying, you've got to try this honey, the bees are on a really amazing varietal. and before i know it i'm on a full-on carb binge. now even when we're extracting honey i won't even have a single taste of any of it. in my experience, i have to really watch any of the sugars whether or not they're 'natural'. i have lots of health problems that are caused by carbs and it's just not something that i can handle.

there are recipe books out there that don't use any sweeteners, artificial or otherwise. one that i would recommend looking thru would be the new wahls cookbook. she uses certain combinations of spices to give the sweet/sour taste. it might be worth browsing thru for inspiration anyways. there's a look inside on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wahls-Protoc...y/dp/1635616026

good luck!