View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-01, 04:56

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Resistance to low-carb diets in UK

Even though the world's first low-carb diet came from the UK in 1862 (see Banting's "Letter on Corpulence" via the low-carber.org) there is still considerable resistance to low carbohydrate diets today. Atkins has a rough time, but does actually get himself heard in America. In Feb 2001, I set up a web-site to promote low-carb diets. It is not a profit-making venture. But the UK has greeted all my attempts to publicise it with a deafening wall of silence! The medical profession here strongly disapprove of low-carb diets, which is historic, and goes all the way back to Banting. Doctors are used in the UK to advise all the national newspapers, the TV and Radio, so all my attempts to report the advantages of low-carb diets in these media have been thwarted by the medical profession, who have a total stranglehold on diets and related issues. The closest I have come to success is with the BBC, who have promised to let me have my say, next time they return to the problems of obesity, and how to cure it. But progress will be slow, and attacked by the medical profession. It would appear that America, for all the aggravation it gives Dr Atkins, does at least have a fairer approach to anyone with different views. In the meantime, if anyone can offer any suggestions about how to publicise low-carbohydrate diets in the UK, I will be very pleased to hear from them.
Sponsored Links