#12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-17, 09:21

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpugs33
Question though I see every one is saying eat lots of veggies but isn't that a carb?

Also essential nutrition. I was just reading this:

Quote:
Vitamins and minerals, in particularly electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium and calcium are critical to support our mitochondria, enabling them to produce energy and maximise insulin sensitivity.

People in the keto community are conscious that electrolytes are essential and go out of their way to supplement with magnesium, calcium, sodium and potassium as well as taking bone broth.

The kidneys let go of water and electrolytes when insulin levels drop. A ketogenic diet without attention to green leafy veggies is at risk of being very low in electrolytes. This will cause the pancreas to secrete more insulin to hold onto the scarce electrolytes. This increase in insulin levels may[3] ironically drive insulin resistance.

Whether you call them electrolytes or alkaline foods[5], our bodies need enough substrate to allow our kidneys to maintain a good acid/base balance without having to work too hard. Focusing on minerals can helps us maximise insulin sensitivity and ensure oxygen is efficiently be carried around our bloodstream.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/category/vegan/

If I knew the connection of electrolytes to insulin resistance, I forgot it so this was a good reminder for me. I don't like green vegetables much, but I'm going to start making a green smoothie every day and literally choking them down.