View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-17, 08:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I had a strange transition week occur in the early months of this WOE. I don't know what was going on under the hood, but I had terrible insomnia. My brain would not turn off at night. For days I was getting in less than 2 hours of sleep each night. One night I don't think that I got a wink of sleep at all. I wasn't doing any exercise at the time and I don't recall any issues with muscle pain or fatigue. Thankfully, this event was of limited duration. On the other end of it I was a different person. I had always been a light sleeper. I was a 'night person', too. I'd go to bed late (midnight or later) and wake up with the alarm. I enjoyed sleeping in on weekends. After that week of insomnia I synced up the rising and setting of the sun. For the first time EVER I became a morning person. I found it hard to stay up much past 10pm. I slept like a rock -- deeper than ever before. I started waking up to the chirping of birds, long before my alarm went off. I'd wake up clear headed (i.e. not groggy) and ready to hop out of bed to get my day started. At the height of the following summer I was waking up at 5:30 am and getting up before 6.

I used to think that morning people were crazy. When this transion happened to me I don't think I'd seen more than 10 sunrises in my entire life and some of them were from staying up all night - not getting up early. Then, suddenly, I became a morning person. Who'd have thunk it? Not me. It was not by choice. It just happened. I have been a morning person ever since. I sleep better than I ever have. I am now an "early to bed, early to rise" man. I'm still waiting for the 'healthy, wealthy, and wise' part of that saying. Well, the healthy part did happen and I am a little wiser that I used to be. Wealthy is the hold-out. I'm still hoping that the wealthy part is yet to come.

Again, I'm not sure what was going on inside during that week of horrid insomnia. I like to think that this is when my broken metabolism started to right itself. I defiantly found my circadian rhythm. Not long after this transition this WOE started to get easier. I also started getting fidgety when sitting around too much. So that is when I started an exercise regimen and I have never stopped. Perhaps another explanation for this event might be that my muscles were becoming fat adapted. Whatever the case, that week of insomnia was well worth it. I was in a much better place after it happened. I was barely under 400 pounds at the time, yet I felt so good. I didn't want anything to mess that up. So I stuck to my LCHF plan and kept the ball rolling in the right direction.

BTW: I love being a morning person. I get up early on weekends, hours before the rest of the family. I enjoy that alone time to collect my thoughts and prepare for the day.