View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-12, 10:54

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 135/132/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

The other thing to think of is enough fat, and saturated fat. have you tried coconut oil to increase the fat? or avocado? or coconut meat to get the protein too?[/QUOTE]

I have increased my coconut and olive oil intake. I'm doing the ketogenic diet so I'm less concerned with protein volume than I am with good fats.

I don't ever concern myself with adequate protein. Most Americans get too much of it. Our physiology is similar to that of other herbivores (jaw structure, intestines, acidity in the stomach, teeth, etc.). Our bodies make our own amino acids (as with carbs). Primates (most similar in digestive structure), elephants, giraffes and all the large herbivores get their protein from plants. Clearly most of you know your biochemistry better than I but I'm just not convinced that we NEED to get our protein met from animal meat.

I'm not trying to have a debate on ethics and I agree that I would feel more full consuming bulk protein (like tofu). Once I've completed my weight loss (just a few more to go), I'll resume my more balanced diet and include more fruit, nuts, and some legumes. I know that I'll lack nutrients if I stay on a keto diet for too long.

Thanks for your input, everyone.