View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-08, 08:10

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Ralph,

I do the same thing as you do with a second smaller shot at 1 or 2 hours for foods like pizza which I know are slower. It works very well.

My rule of thumb is that I will not use more than 3 units at once before eating because of a fear that something might come up and I wouldn't eat the food. I've had this happen only a few times, but it is an issue.

Getting sick, for instance, or occasionally at a restaurant getting something so revolting I couldn't eat it.

With the 2 stage process the second dose goes in after the food so there's no fear.

But I also try to keep the insulin amount down as I find that the amount of insulin may be a good index to whether I'm going to put on weight, not necessarily because of the insulin but because it means I'm eating too much.

BTW, in his recent teleconference, Dr. Bernstein said it was okay to reuse pen needles, which is what I've been doing. Since I don't have to keep using new needles, I feel much freer to use a couple shots instead of one.

People with Type 1 who get CGMSes are getting so much better blood sugars, that I look forward to the day when everyone with diabetes can have access to one and see what their food really does to them.

BTW, if you test Dreamfields Pasta, you need to test even after that 5 hours when regular pasta hits.